View Single Post
Old 02-23-2003, 02:11 AM   #53
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Just an hour now, and Miz Pio would be here to fetch her to the party! Amaranthas washed up a bit and ran the brush through her thin, grey curls. Then put on her dress, fumbling with stiff fingers at the buttons, and smoothed out the wrinkles with her hands. Placing the string of amber beads around her neck, she admired herself in the mirror for a few moments.

If she squinted, just a little, she could still see that young girl who had loved to dance at the Midyear’s Day parties by the silvered light of moon and the soft gold light of the candle-lit lanterns.

Only a half hour until Miz Pio arrived! She sat down in her chair by the window, her gaze fixed firmly in the direction she would come from. Her cane tapped on the floor, in a lively manner, the aches in her hips quite forgotten. Her eyes gleamed merrily.

Perhaps there would be dancing tonight.

It was a leisurely trip to Amaranthas’ house. A pleasant cusp of evening with a light breeze. She let the pony pick his way down the roadway at his own pace, the clop-clop of his hooves against the hardened ground lulling her thoughts.

Pio let her mind quest out, seeking Mithadan. He was somewhere near the borders of the southern Shire, but she could not tell if he had crossed into it as yet, or lingered just beyond. He was very tired, though, she could tell.

Just two more days, beloved. Then you can rest in my arms. She put her hand on her belly, as if to make a stronger link, and let his children’s lively spirits reach out for him, call to him.

Her mind caught another familiar pattern not too far from Mithadan. Bird! Now just half a day’s journey behind him, at rest in a sheltering tree for the evening. Bird, we’ll see you soon then. She sent her the picture of a sleeping Mithadan. You are only a short distance from him. Ride in together, my friend. I cannot wait to see you. Pio chuckled as she felt Bird’s surprised squawk at having her thoughts disturbed.

Her eye caught the green of Amaranthas’ door as the cart came to the rise of the hill above it. A few moments and they were at the house, itself. Amaranthas was at the door, waving to her. A small black beaded bag on her arm, and a lacy black fringed shawl about her shoulders. She climbed on board the cart with Pio’s assistance, and off they went.

Two finely dressed ladies on their way to a party . .

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]