View Single Post
Old 02-26-2003, 02:06 PM   #68
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As Cami entered the Common Room, she spied a familiar figure coming through the door whom she had not seen in a long while. When she was a tweener, and living in Buckland Hall, Cami had known Fatty Bolgar quite well. She had worked for the Brandybucks some eighteen years and, during much of that time, was the intended of Hob Fields, a kindly lad from Tukborough whom she had promised her mother to wed. Hobb had come from Tukborough to work at the Bolger farm, so that he could be closer to Cami. The distance between Budgeford and Bucklebury was not all that great, and there had been much coming and going between the two households. It was no wonder that Merry had ended up marrying Estella, who was Fatty's sister. Whenever Hob came courting Cami in Buckland, he had generally been accompanied by his friend Fatty, and the three of them had spent countless hours tramping through the woods, enjoying rounds of archery.

Before Cami could collect herself and go up to greet her friend, Merry piped in with a word or two. "Another Bolger? We'll have the Inn overflowing with them if we're not careful." He turned and winked at Fatty.

Amaranthas lifted up her cane and gave the Master of Buckland a hearty poke in the ribs, glaring at him and warning, "Best watch your tongue, Brandybuck, or Estella will be having a word or two with you." Like Amaranthas, Estella was not known for her reticence.

"Now, Amaranthas, I meant no harm," Merry quickly countered. Twas but a jest! I have the best wife in the world, and I'll not be upsetting her. I can promise you that." Merry took Estella's hand and squeezed it tightly to reassure her. For the two hobbits had just gotten married in the past year.

Fatty turned around from Merry and caught his first glimpse of Cami. His eyes widened in surprise and delight. "Cami Goodchild, when I received my invitation, I assumed it was written by a ghost. I can't believe you're really here. How many years has it been?"

"Let's see," Cami mused. I left the Shire in 1403 to move to Buckland, and, after that business with Sharkey, I decided to leave, but it took a while to arrange things. Merry got me a position in Beregond's household two years later. So it's been a good twelve years since you and I met."

"Aye, the battle of Bywater," he whispered solicitously, nodding his head. "That hit more than one family." Fatty remembered that Hob had been one of nineteen hobbits killed that sad day, and Cami had decided to leave quite soon after."

"In any case, I'm glad you're back. You should never have left Buckland or the East Farthing. I know the wander-lust hits some hobbits, but you always seemed too sensible for that. After all, you're not a Took." Cami did not respond, wondering how she could explain to this dear friend that her present life was anything but sensible.

"You know Cami, you look quite lovely tonight. I don't know which is prettier, you or that dress." Fatty hesitated for a minute and then asked, "Not married yet?"

Cami mutely shook her head, thinking she'd best explain that this was only a temporary visit. But before she could respond, Fatty was pushing forward, "You must come see my family in Budgeford. My father and mother are still alive and well. They have always liked you. Plus, you can pay a visit to Merry and Estella at Buckland. What fun we'll have. Just like old times! I'll be happy to drive you about in my pony cart to see all the sights."

"But I can't. I'm working here at the Inn. And I'm helping to take care of my friend Pio."

Fatty looked in the direction where Cami was pointing and saw a tall, graceful, and very pregnant Elf. Unlike Frodo and Sam and his other friends, Fatty was very much a typical stay-at-home hobbit who had never been far from the Shire. He had not even seen an Elf before.

"She's your friend?" Fatty's voice sounded slightly incredulous.

"Yes, indeed, a close friend," Cami reassured him.

"Then, I'll have a talk with her later. Perhaps, she'd like to come too and see the sights of Buckland."

Before she knew what was happening, Fatty had slipped his arm around Cami's shoulder. She found herself squirming and trying to think of an excuse to leave. Oh, dear, this isn't supposed to be happening. What do I do now? This is even worse than Greenwood. Cami desperately fingered the green gemstone that hung about her neck. At that instant, she noticed Frodo standing alone behind the bar. She smiled, then blushed, as she maneuvered Fatty over in that direction. Bilbo gave her a stern look as she walked by.

She pulled Fatty up n front of Frodo, and muttered, "I know you two have a lot of catching up to do." Frodo's face lit up as he saw his old friend. The two hobbits embraced in a bear hug and then began earnestly conversing, leaving Cami thankfully free to slip away, at least for the moment.

Cami's mind roamed back to Buckland, and all those occasions when the three of them had gone out together to have fun. She and Hob, and Fatty.... And now Hob was gone these many years, and she was still not wed. Cami began wondering how many other things she'd forgotten or overlooked from her time at Buckland Hall.

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]