View Single Post
Old 02-27-2003, 10:57 AM   #78
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Sam was relating the history of his struggle against an invasion of moles in the Southfarthing when he noticed Frodo suddenly turn pale, and his body stiffen. Fear came into his eyes.

"Mr. Frodo? What's the matter?" Sam said. "Are you all right?" Frodo's eyes were glassy for a moment, and then his gaze cleared to Sam's relief. But then Frodo turned toward the fireplace, and went completely white.

Sam heard a snarl. He sprang in front of Frodo with a yell, but fortunately the snarl had also reached the ears of Farmer Maggot, who barreled inside from the porch, shouting, "Fang, down! Heel!"

But Fang paused, still growling. Then he barked, sharply, several times. He and Frodo stared at each other.

Piosenniel laughed.

The dog's ears went back, and he whined softly; then Fang walked toward Farmer Maggot and sat down at his heel.

Frodo relaxed. Farmer Maggot, Piosenniel, and Fang slowly crossed the room to join Frodo.

"You surprised him, " Piosenniel smiled.

Frodo glanced wearily up at her. "I didn't exactly stand on ceremony. He was very clear about who I am and what I had done."

"Am I to understand that you told him something?" Maggot asked, intensely curious.

"I did, " Frodo replied. "I told him I was done trespassing, and was very sorry that I ever stole your mushrooms."

Maggot chuckled. "He's always had a sharp memory. Well, hello, Mr. Baggins. " Bilbo was slowly approaching.

"Hello, Farmer Maggot, " Bilbo said, and then peered at Frodo with some concern. "Weary?"

"A little."

"Well, " Bilbo replied with mock sternness, "it's a good thing I adopted you away from Farmer Maggot's mushrooms; I do believe you would have been dinner long before you ever came of age! Thievery has its price, you know, my lad, " and Bilbo waggled his finger under Frodo's nose, and launched into a wry, humorous lecture on the preciousness of mushrooms and the righteous indignation of those whose mushroom-patches have been trespassed upon.

Frodo gratefully drank in the mock-lecture, taking refuge and comfort in his uncle's familiar presence. For a few moments, there was no one in the room but Bilbo and himself. He let Bilbo's words wash over him like a river. When the lecture was over, he took a deep breath, and somewhat refreshed, turned back to his old friends, and somehow found the energy to be merry again.

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]