View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Břicho
Animated Skeleton

Břicho has just left Hobbiton.
A few other thoughts...actually just two

I found that interesting, too. I can only assume that, unlike the "pure' Manwe, Ulmo and Tulkas are more acquainted with the their own dark sides and urge.

I also found it interesting that Finwë married twice. Does this ever happen again in the legendarium--that an Elf remarried? I can't think of a single example(off hand).

Another thing that struck me is how very different the Elves(and especially the nutty genius Fëanor) seem from the Elves in the Lord of the Rings.
I can't imagine Feanor beng of the same race; the Elves in the Third Age seem to display a much more world-weary wisdom than the rash Feanor; Feanor is much more of a loner and spurns the Valar and Melkor, keeping around him only a few respected craftsmen and his father.
The sibling rivalry--to the point in w hich the Noldor later believe is Feanor's founding drive and the reason for all the woe that follows-- is out of my vision of "Elven character" in the Third Age...

Quite a lot of the Elves in the Silmarillion behave differently, in fact, than they would several thousand years later in Rivendell or Lorien.
These are the years of their youth--when their craft was at it's height but their wisdom hadn't yet caught up with it.
They almost seem like "wicked and foolish" men...but unlike men they will have the opportunity to learn from their mistakes-.