View Single Post
Old 12-17-2002, 07:33 PM   #4
thorondil
Haunting Spirit

thorondil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Unfortunately we may have to endure alot more of this with the attention the movies are generating. It would take a long post to pick apart this piece but rest assured it could be done.

Like all pseudointellectualism, with its penchant for elitism, this piece looks down on "the great-grandchildren of illiterate peasants" and "kowtowing vassals." I assure you that my great-grandfathers were quite literate and kowtowed to no one.

First of all, Brin's piece presents an inaccurate world view. The "guardians of wisdom" still keep their wonders locked up in "high wizard towers" and "gangs of large men" still retain power, as it is the nature of Nature that it be so. And they still ensure that their sons will inherit everything. Society is still shaped with "a few well-armed bullies at the top."

And comparing George Lucas to Tolkien to me is like comparing Teletubbies to Templars.

To deny all this is the real fantasy.

But to refute the main argument of the piece...

Brin's argument is back asswards. Tolkiens work is essentially one of "Enlightenment" and not one opposed to it. "Forward" in his work is the path worth taking. Forward toward the Light, forward toward Valinor (and not this foolishness about leaving India,) forward toward Purity. Not remaining in some "preferred past."

Tolkien's work is essentially spiritual and thus as Lindil said, Brin misses the boat to Eressea.