View Single Post
Old 01-04-2004, 03:01 AM   #30
Rouroni
Newly Deceased

Rouroni has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

In regards to to the sexist, lack-of-women problem. I have had so many people ask me why there are only three main female parts in the LotR movies. And this annoys me to no end.<P>If people would bother to read the book, they would discover a surprise. PJ actually gave Arwen and Eowyn much larger parts in the movies than they had in the book. I'm sure some of you were annoyed when Arwen came riding in with all her Elf-princess glory instead of Glorfindel. <P>In fact, Arwen was in all of the movies, not just FotR (breifly) and RotK (breifly again).<P>Nevertheless, people want to know why Tolkien was such a sexist. Well, he wasnt. <P>Some people just dont understand that times change, and the time frame Tolkien was writing about would have been vastly different socially than things are today. <P>But people are content to believe, in thier own insecurity, i suppose, that the media is biased and everyone hates them for what they look like. <P>It's sad, really.
"Cold be hand and heart and bone/Cold be sleep under stone/never more to wake on stony bed/Never, until the Sun fails and the Moon is dead./In the black wind the stars shall die/And still on gold here let them lie/Until the Dark Lord lifts his hand/Over dead sea and withered land."-Fog on the Barrow-Downs
Rouroni is offline   Reply With Quote