View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 05:32 PM   #128
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The darkness was ubiquitious in the camp's atmosphere. The spirit of Fornost was a harsh one, and not one to be ignored. Lumiel sighed and pulled a stray hair behind her ear, hearing the wind whisper to her of things long gone but not yet forgotten. She wondered at it, the pervasiveness of the cruelty that once happened here. Even as a silent grave, it stank of death and misery. The others were affected by it as well, especially her fellow elven companions, and most obviously Eswen and Uien. She herself felt it too, an acute perception that nevertheless remained only in her peripheral vision.

They could not afford such distractions as they made their way into the very heart of Fornost. Either they would overcome it, or they would have to come to terms with it. She only hoped that either way, none of them would lose...anything...of themselves.

She was anxious for them to be on their way, and kept herself busy by keeping watch on their surroundings. Not that she didn't trust the others to do it, but she wanted to. It gave vent to her annoyance and time to deal with whatever it was that Fornost was. For as she watched, she listened. She let herself go, letting the spirit of the environment take her as it would, to some key to the mystery, to some understanding. But it was as evasive as their quarry.

Tired of watching and waiting, she went to the center of the camp, where Gorby was writing in a journal. He finished and closed the book as she sat down beside him and he looked up. "Lumiel." A pause. "I might be just a hobbit and not as sensitive as you elven folk...but sure as rain there's somethin' unnatural here."

Lumiel nodded. She enjoyed Gorby's company, though she did not know him well. "It is everywhere here, it is what Fornost is. But its name evades me. But we need to hurry, my mind, my heart, tells me so." she paused. "How are you doing so far Gorby? And Anson too?" She turned to face Gorby when she asked and she gave a small smile. As dismal and grey as this place was to the soul, she was determined not to be overtaken by it. She would prevail.