View Single Post
Old 01-21-2003, 05:22 AM   #283
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

'Who is that?' asked Holly, nudging Bird with her arm. She had watched the scene unfold on the other side of the camp, and wondered who the man might be. She had seen Volondil sheath his blade, and Gandalf approach him with something to eat and drink. What interested her most was that Gandalf had taken Andreth’s book out and consulted it, though the expression on his face after he had read the desired passage was not one of satisfaction.

Bird had changed back into human form and now sat poking at the small campfire, watching as the small sparks flew up into the darkness. Her attention was focused on the flames, and she did not answer. Holly prodded her once again. ‘That man over there, what’s his story? Are we taking him with us. He looks ill.’

‘Oh, him.’ said Bird, turning to look at the Hobbit as if seeing her for the first time. ‘He’s some fellow from Bree who escaped from the castle, apparently. I doubt he’ll want to accompany us back toward it.’ She pointed her stick at Holly, and tapped the sooty end on her friend’s shoulder. ‘Forget about that poor man. Nothing we can do about his situation, and I’m sure Gandalf will send him safely on his way. What we need to be thinking about is what Gandalf read from that girl’s book.’

Holly took the stick from Bird and tossed it in the fire. It flamed up for a moment then broke in two and fell among the coals. ‘And what was that?’

‘It was about the Treasury – the one in the castle.’ Bird looked up at the dark sky as if reading the words there.

‘To best defend from thievery, and armed door-warden stands without, to let you in.’

She paused before repeating the second half.

‘To let you out with open hands your honesty, within.

Holly kicked a burning ember that had come popping out of the fire, back into the pit. She shook her head at Bird, who stood looking at her expectantly. ‘You know I’m a dunderhead at riddles. And this one makes even less sense to me than most. You’re the one who’s good at them. Don’t you have an inkling yet of what it might be?’

‘I’m working on it, Holly. I’m getting there. It’s just not clear quite yet.’