View Single Post
Old 02-22-2004, 11:37 AM   #154
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Anson

By the time Lira had reached Anson, he was already struggling to sit up. His face was pale and he was shaking all over. Lira helped him up and gazed at him, apparently wanting him to say something but unsure of what to ask. Anson looked about him and his eyes widened. "Gorby?" he asked her, but no sound came from his mouth. His eyes widened with fear at this and he clutched her hand, trying to speak to her but finding he could make no noise whatsoever. Lira put her free hand on his brown curls and spoke gently to him. "Don't worry, Anson," she said. "You've just had the wind knocked out of you." She cast an uneasy glance behind her at the fighting, wondering how much more time they had.

"Do you think you can walk if I help you?" she asked. "We have to find Gorby."

Anson gave a stiff nod and allowed Lira to help him to his feet. She began walking forward as quickly as she dared, one arm about Anson's shoulder. He clung to this arm, his eyes travelling desperately about, searching for Gorby. It was not long before his breath came more regularly, and soon he was brokenly telling her what had happened. When Lira's horse had screamed, the pony had become terrified and went into a mad frenzy of fear. Anson had quickly concluded that it would be better to jump off, but the pony had already taken off at an uncontrolable gallop and Anson had been flung off. Gorby had still been clinging to the pony's mane when everything went black.

Lira and Anson followed the pony's tracks, looking desperately for Gorby. Both realized that they were easy targets for the attackers and they were solely relying on the rest of the group to see their plight and assist them by keeping the enemy away. The color had come back to Anson's face and they began moving quicker.

At last Lira gave a cry and sprang to one side, Anson close behind her. Gorby was lying face up on the ground, breathing heavily and staring up at the sky. When he saw Lira and Anson he smiled faintly at them and held out both his hands. Anson took one and Lira the other and they pulled him to his feet. "Are you all right?" Anson asked, embracing him warmly.

Gorby nodded. "I do believe I am. I almost got trampled by your pony, though."

"I'm sorry!" Anson cried, grasping his hand tightly.

"Don't worry yourself over it," Gorby replied. "The bravest man may turn coward in the face of a steel blade, and I fancy ponies aren't any different."

Lira had watched this reunion with a little smile. Through the most dangerous fights, Hobbits would always remain simple, gentle folk. Taking the hobbits' hands, she said, "It would be best if we were to find somewhere to hide. Our best chance is there."

"But, Lira!" Anson cried. "Isn't your horse hurt? I heard a horse scream, and here you are on foot." A shadow of pain passed over Lira's face, but she murmured, "That isn't what we need to worry about now." As she led them away, her eyes searching for a hiding place, Anson and Gorby exchanged a look that clearly showed they were both thinking the same thing... Elves were grand entirely.