View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 12:52 PM   #243
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Boots The Messenger...

The walk to the Palace was a rather uneventful affair. Despite the beautiful weather, people seemed to stay hid inside. Surely, there were obvious reasons why people preferred this, but it was still a pity; it was no longer possible for the average man to enjoy the simplicity of the weather as it seemed that all things were all other than gay. Still, one man, dressed in long black robes, was out and about. Entering the courtyard of the Palace, he halted for a moment, enjoying the tranquillity of the place that had always been filled with life. It certainly felt like ages since he had last been here, when the Emissary had first arrived. The King had thrown a banquet in his honour, as a welcoming gesture. Highly ranked citizens of Pasthia had all been invited to take part to drink and eat. The religious leaders, the former High priestess Zamara and Tarkan, had been there, as well as the nobles, Korak and Arshalous Even Môrgos and his family, the elves, had enjoyed the banquet in the King's hall. He, on the other hand, had enjoyed the gathering through a window.

In the early hours of that evening, he had located the perfect spot: a window, where he could watch the ongoing feast without being seen himself. All night he had stood there, his face glued to the cold window glass and his body leaning against the hard stone wall. Pleased by the accomplishment of the night, where he had learned of the King's decision, he was about to leave himself, when someone came up from behind and surprised him. At last, he had been spotted.

"Who're you?!" The gruff voice startled him. While day dreaming, he had almost forgotten why he was here!

"No one is being let in. Go away, beggar, or..."

The man in question interrupted;" I'm no beggar, and you will let me in." His eyes lit up as he said this, and with a sign the guard recognised, he let the black-robed man pass without further questioning. Followed by his dark shadow, he hurriedly climbed the stairs and went in.

The hall was almost unrecognisable in the dark. Squinting, he got used to the lack of light, and made his way to the end of it, where a door stood ajar. He didn't hesitate about entering; he would walk around in the Palace until he found someone who could help him deliver the message from Tarkan. His footsteps echoed in the empty room as he advanced from hallway to hallway. After almost ten minutes had passed, he finally met someone.

"Can I help you?"

"Can you deliver a message to the Prince and the Princess?" The figure asked immediately.

The young woman nodded, seeming confused. "I am just about to.. to….. the General," she said. Instantly, she looked uneasy, as if having said something wrong. He chose to ignore this, and asked again. After a moment, she nodded.

"You must promise me to tell no one of this, other than the people intended of course." Not waiting for the woman to reply, he continued.” I work for, or with, Tarkan, the priest." He spoke slowly, almost whispering. He took a step closer, making sure she could hear him clearly. "We know... We know about the priestess Zamara.." By the sound of her name, the servant jumped, looking terrified. "H-h-how..?" she pressed forwards, but the man didn't listen. Instead he took her by the arm and led her around the corner. "Listen to me. Tarkan is a wise man; by the help of the Gods he can see things; things that are, as you just confirmed, true. Now, don't think any more about that. Just listen. If you don't do as I say, it might prove fatal; fatal for you, the priestess, yes, even the Kingdom itself."

Hearing these words, the woman seemed to understand that she had just been involved in something she had never intended. The man studied her, hoping that she would do as he told her. In a brief second he thought he had done the ultimate mistake trusting her with this, but hearing her sigh, he knew that he had succeeded after all. What remained was the message itself.

"The priest must see Zamara. They must meet. At what time and where, I don't know, but Tarkan has something to tell Zamara; something of great importance. Now, off with you, and tell the Prince and the Princess precisely what I have told you. They may not send word for me, I have other business to attend to, but a messenger should be sent to Tarkan's residence as quickly as possible with the appropriate time and place."

He waved her off, and was about leave, when she stopped him. "May I ask who you are?" she said.

It suddenly occurred to him that he had in fact not introduced himself, but seeing the situation he found himself in, he realised that he had been wise. Being asked now, he could nothing but smile. "I am a servant, as you are ....?"

"Nadda," she said eagerly.

He left as quickly as he had come.

Last edited by Novnarwen; 04-26-2005 at 11:03 AM.