View Single Post
Old 09-05-2003, 12:09 PM   #20
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After a long day put in, the south side of the roof was finally repaired, the new planking sealed with the resinous mixture he had spread with the mop. Cook had not been pleased when Derufin started out the door with the bucket of resin and her good mop, and had hauled him back in with by his shirttails. A compromise had been reached, and Buttercup had been sent to the cellar to look for one of the old mops.

Now the job was done, and there was naught for him to do until it dried. Tomorrow he would put the shingles in place over it. The bucket of resin was put away. The mop sticky beyond all use was thrown onto the small bonfire pile a fair distance away from the stable along with a few other odds and ends from the stable and Inn that needed burning. ‘No wind tonight, if I have the right of it,’ he thought to himself. ‘Good night for a little blaze.’

Back in the kitchen, washed up and ready for the evening meal, Derufin helped himself to a generous portion of the supper offerings and sat down at the table with a mug of ale to wash it down. The food was tasty enough, but he was preoccupied - chewing and swallowing, unmindful of it. His hand strayed to the letter in his pocket, and when the meal was done he drew it out.

He had barely time to open it in hopes of reading it once more, when Cook sailed over, wiping her hands on her apron. Buttercup and Ruby caught her movement and trailed after her. ‘We saw Halfred today, looking for you to give you a letter, he said.’ Buttercup danced from foot to foot. ‘Come on now! We know who’s written it. Give it up!’ The three sat down at the table with him, looking at him expectantly.

Derufin grinned and shook his head. ‘Nosy-parkers! Bad as my sisters when we were children!’ Cook looked at him, surprised. He rarely if ever spoke of his past, and now here he was telling them he had sisters. She bit her tongue, suppressing the urge to open up a little more about him, and instead filed the information away for later.

‘Oh, please,’ joined in Ruby. ‘We’ll admit to curiosity as one of our downfalls. Just let us know what she’s said. And does it say when she’ll be here?’

‘A bargain, then,’ said Derufin, a calculating look gleamed in his eyes. Without demure, the two young women nodded their heads. ‘Right! Beren’s and my quarters are looking a bit rough.’ They sighed and rolled their eyes. Having brothers of their own they knew where this was heading. ‘Yes, yes!’ they cried almost in unison. ‘We’ll get it cleaned up and the bedding aired and changed.’ ‘But just this once,’ added Ruby, remembering how her brothers had tried to stretch things out.

‘Done!’ Derufin slapped his hand on the table. He smoothed the letter on the table and read it aloud to them:

28 Cermië
Michel Delving

My Friend,

The slow progression of babes and parents and all that entails has found its way to the western bounds of the Shire at last. I feel as if I am caravan master for a group of travelers who want to stop at every town and dip and bump in the road to see the ‘sights’. Perhaps I am too eager to see old friends, and in too much of a hurry knowing the trip from the Inn to Minas Tirith will be even longer.

As you can see, we are now in Michel Delving, and will spend four days here - getting supplies, and enjoying the pleasures of real beds in lieu of camping rough. (Yes, I can say that the pleasures of ‘roughing it’ dim in the face of accommodating two unhappy babies!)

By the time you receive this (I have waylaid a local lad with a fast pony to bring it to Halfred) we should just be heading for Waymeet. It will take us two days to get there.

Now what, you might ask, is the attraction in Waymeet? Our nursemaid is from there. I cannot recall if you met her when we left. Gilly Took, by name. She was recommended by Amaranthas. Her family is there and she wishes to visit them. She has eleven brothers and sisters, so there will be plenty of extra hands to see to the twins! We intend to spend two days there – plenty of good Shire food and the pleasure of good Hobbit company.

‘Can’t hold a candle to Cook’s food!’ blurted out Buttercup. Ruby elbowed her, shushing her, and looked expectantly at Derufin.

One day more of traveling will bring us to the Inn! I am much looking forward to seeing you and all my close friends – Aman, Cook, Buttercup, Ruby. And can someone fetch Amaranthas? The old Dragon will appreciate the ride into town. Though, if I know her right, she will tell you she is capable of getting herself about!

‘I’ll go!’ volunteered Buttercup, speaking up again. ‘We get along well enough. She reminds me of my own Gran.’ She looked apologetically at the other two Hobbits. ‘Go on,’ she urged Derufin. ‘I’ll keep quiet.’

Derufin picked up where he’d left off.

I am also looking forward to riding Falmar once again. I trust that she is doing well and has not gotten fat from inactivity and a certain fondness for oats and apples!

His ears crimsoned as he read this, and the three listeners were discretely silent on the fact that Falmar had been lost. He cleared his throat and read the last paragraph.

This is only a short note. The lad is standing at my elbow, fidgeting. Eager to be off and back and receive his coin for service rendered. Will see you soon!

Affectionately,

Piosenniel

Oh! By the way, I believe I forgot to mention we have someone traveling with us. A good friend I made in Lindon. Zimzirân – or Zimzi, as I call her. You will like her, I think. ~*~ P ~*~

Letter courtesy of Pio

[ September 05, 2003: Message edited by: Envinyatar ]