View Single Post
Old 10-13-2003, 07:01 PM   #81
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

After hours of waiting and wishing, the Togethership at last reached the head of the line and was allowed to pass between the pearly gates of the heavenly entrance to the Glitzy Caverns. Beautiful statues of various creatures, including angels, devils, and bearded lady dwarves, lined the long and brightly lit foyer that stretched for nearly the length of a REB-I Etceteron bar receipt and was traversed via a leisurely ride on a Topfloorien “People Mover” Sliding Sidewalk. Between each statue was a tall mirror in which each adventurer admired himself, herself, or itself as they sidled toward a growing barrage of peculiar sounds. Orogarn Two looked up from his handsome reflection just in time to avoid stumbling at the end of the trip.

“Slots!” he shouted, and rushed forward to push a little old Sorethighem lady away from the machine she had momentarily neglected. He looked back to the group. “Anyone have a coin?”

Everyone quickly coughed a lame excuse for not proffering any money and took off in different directions, leaving the smiling Grundorian standing alone with the disgruntled blue-haired horse lady.

“I’ll have my machine back, you big brute!” she shouted, and made to swing her hefty purse at him.

“Not today, madam,” replied Orogarn Two with a quick kick to her walker that sent her stumbling into another machine. He fished deeply into his front right pocket and produced a rusty copper Grundorian kabob. “I believe this game is mine!”

Ignoring the fallen gambler (who could not get up), he turned back to his machine triumphantly and slid the coin into its hungry maw.

---- Horse Head ---- Horse Head ---- Hunk of Rock ----

“Argh!” he cried and kicked the machine. “Am I ever cursed to suffer such misfortune?”

“Yes!” growled the old lady, finally hauling herself upward. “Now go suffer somewhere else!”

Not having another kabob and seeing no better alternative, Orogarn Two gave her the one fingered “good luck” sign and walked in the direction of an Automatic Moolah Machine he had spotted near the far end of the slot hall. Before he reached the machine he heard a loud siren go off behind him and he turned to see the old woman and her walker dancing in circles (very slow circles) under a great shining “$1,000,000” sign. She was shouting and singing, and when she noticed him she returned his good luck sign with both hands.

Sighing, he turned to the machine and slid his Citibank card into the reader.

For Instruction in Grundorian Press 1
Buz Gluzngub ne Moredough Grek 2

Please input your PIN and hit Enter.

Orogarn Two looked around carefully and shielded the keypad with his jacket to hide his actions from a nosy dwarf who had gotten in line behind him. He slyly punched his code number with four quick jabs of his good luck finger.

ENTER

1 Quick-kabobs
2 Withdrawal
3 Deposit
4 Balance

How much do you wish to withdrawal?

GK 1,000

He waited while the machine steadily whirred and buzzed, finally spitting out 1,000 kabobs in crisp 50 kabob bills. He took the receipt and his card and walked away from the machine quickly, hoping the dwarf hadn’t seen how much he had withdrawn. With any luck, he’d be a rich man by morning.*

* For clarity’s sake, Orogarn Two and the entire family of the Steward are already stinking rich, but even the well-to-do love to win at gambling.

[ October 14, 2003: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]