Old 03-04-2003, 06:49 PM   #35
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

Bethberry
Quote:
I apologize, Dalin and InklingElf, if my words have been obtuse. I am simply defending Tolkien's right to translate Beowulf as he saw fit. I would be happy to clarify any of my statements if you want to PM me about them.
Bethberry, it wasn't obtuse at all [or maybe it was because I was sleepy and wasn't paying attention well?]. I thank you for your clear and consice clarification. I understand now and I will look at your discussion again.

Turambar:[quote]I was reading UT last night and I thought there was a short section (in the Istari chapter I think) that looked like Old English as Bb has described it - each line was halved, equal number stresses in each half, etc. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about, or have this book handy? It was past my bedtime, so I may have imagined the whole thing.[quote] :takes out her handy-dandy UT [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]:

I think I know what you're talking about. This one?:
------------------------
Wilt thou learn the lore
of the Five that came
One only returned.
under Men's dominion
until Dagor Dagorath
How hast thou heard it:
of the Lord's of the West
The long roads are lost
and to mortal Men
From the West-that-was
to the sleeper's ear,
under night-shadow,
from lands forgotten
over seas of years
Not all are forgotten
Sauron he saw

[and the other half:]

that was long secret
from a far country?
Others never again
Middle-earth shall seek
and the Doom cometh.
the hidden counsel
in the land of Aman?
that led tither,
Manwe speaks not.
a wind bore it
in the silences
when news is brought
and lost ages
to the searching thought.
by the Elder King.
a slow menace....
--------------------------

Sorry about the line spacing, but it couldn't fit, and it's hard enough trying to type it from a paper-back I'm trying to keep wrinkle-free...I hope It's the right one, because it's the only one that fit your description. It came from pg. 413 in my book.But if this isn't it-it's probably your imagination [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] .

This is intersting-i'll leave the answering to Bb. [right now I've got to go. Got lots or school work to do and I don't intend to procrastinate!]

BTW:I'm also reading the UT, but I'm still on The Disaster of the Gladden Fields...