View Single Post
Old 07-02-2006, 02:47 PM   #111
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
‘You great dumb ox! What were you thinking?’

Will threw down the tarring broom and tore off his gloves, all the while muttering imprecations at himself for saying the owner of ‘the voice’ should come up the ladder. So engrossed was he in his task he hadn’t taken time to consider that it was Prim and she most likely had a basket with food on her arm for him.

‘You ninny!’ he cried aloud, just as he reached the edge of the roof.

He looked down in horror at Prim sprawled on the ground below…along with the ladder…

‘Don’t move! I’m coming! Just hang on!’ he called down in as reassuring a voice as he could. ‘Here…I’ll just swing down to this window frame here and shimmy down the shutter. Used to do it at my Uncle Tam’s barn in Crickhollow…when my cousins and me used to jump from the gable to the new haypile in the yard below…’ He kept up the patter as he eased himself downward, hoping she would make some reply, that she hadn’t been knocked clean out.

Will was just easing himself down the shutter, to the bottom ledge of the window, when he looked down again at Prim. He smiled and waggled his fingers at her, hoping she would wave back.

‘Please let her be alright,’ he whispered under his breath, trying to reassure himself.

First, his foot slipped as his toes reached for the ledge; then, his fingers fumbled as he tried to find a grip. The ground rushed up to meet him as he fell. There was a thud as he hit and a rather sickening crunch as his left wrist tried to cushion his fall, followed by a rather hard knock to his head.

‘Sorry, Prim,’ he said raising his head weakly. ‘Should’na made you climb up…thoughtless…so stupid…’

His voice trailed off as he passed out.