View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 11:59 PM   #5
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry to triple post, but I found this addition for the chapter only just now. Right after HR-SL-11 finishes and the part I removed (HR-SL-12) begins, I propose we add this in given in A Reader's Companion from the Hunt for the Ring manuscripts:
Quote:
HR-SL-11.5 <Lord of the Rings Companion; The Council of Elrond Gandalf {escapes}escaped on the night of 17/18. {Full}It was a Full Moon 6 days waned, but bright because the weather after long cloud {has}had become clear. Gandalf {cannot}could not descend on an Eagle before the Gates of Edoras, and in any case {has}had to avoid the pursuit of Saruman. He {is}was set down therefore by Gwaihir in the foothills of the White {Mts.}Mountains at dawn on September 18 (west of Edoras), and {does}did not come to Edoras until Sept 19 - in a beggarly guise on foot. He {cannot}could not get an audience with Théoden, {[}the king{]}, and {is}was treated as a beggar at the doors. It {is}was not until {Sept}September 20 that his persistence (and growing anger which {alarms}alarmed the doorwards) {gains}gained him entrance to Théoden, warning him against Saruman. Wormtongue (secretly in Saruman's service, and with great influence over the king) {is}was absent HR-SL-11.7 {for some reason} and Théodred, {[}the king's son{]}, {is}was more favorable to Gandalf; so Théoden {is}was troubled but {will}would not make up his mind. He {says}said he {will}would speak of it again next day. But on the next day, the 21 of September, Wormtongue {reappears}reappeared. It was really for him that Théoden waited (since he {has}had become enthralled by his counsel).
Wormtongue {now opposes}then opposed Gandalf as Théoden {bids}bade him begone next morning: it then being late in the day. ({W'tongue}[Wormtongue] (as {G.}[Gandalf] {guesses}guessed or {knows}knew) {sends}sent off a messenger to Isengard that night. But the messenger even with utmost haste {does}did not reach Saruman until late on the 24 of {[}September{]}. It {is}was about 250 miles from Edoras to Isengard.)
Gandalf {says}said that this {is}was ill-treatment which Théoden {will}would rue. He {does}did not understand the urgency of the times. He {mentions}mentioned the dreadful rumors of the passage of the Black Riders which have terrified all Rohan. Now,’ said Gandalf, ‘if no one else dare oppose these evil things, I dare. But not on foot. One might look for aid in such business from a great king, lord of horses. Then Théoden rashly {exclaims}exclaimed: {why}’Why, take any horse you wish - and begone! This {is}was much to dislike of {W'tongue}[Wormtongue] but Théoden {is}was reluctant to take back his word, and Théodred {opposes W'tongue}opposed Wormtongue, saying that a king {cannot}could not do so even to a beggar, but that for his part he {thinks}thought more honor and heed should be paid to Gandalf Greyhame.
So on 22 {[}September{]} Gandalf {leaves}left Edoras and {goes}went to the horse-sheds. (They {are}were some way from Edoras. Gandalf {does}did not get there until evening{?}) There he {sees}saw Shadowfax, and {decides}decided to have him alone. {S'fax}[Shadowfax] {is}was wild wary and unwilling, and {walks}walked away whenever Gandalf {approaches}approached. It {is}was not till late on the 22 that {S'fax will}Shadowfax would allow Gandalf to come up and speak to him; and not until Sept 23rd that he {is}was tamed and {will}would allow Gandalf to ride off. Gandalf {sets}set off 6 pm 23rd of September.>
HR-SL-11.7: I removed this because in the narrative before this addition, it says that Wormtongue was still on his way back to Rohan from Isengard at the time of Gandalf's escape, so we don't need to say 'for some reason,' as we have already given the reason.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote