View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 12:05 PM   #91
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Don't feel so bad, Eomer. Perhaps you were thinking of the legendary Sasqwarg, not the Silver Warg. The Sasqwarg, also known as Bigpaw, has been rumored to live deep in the forests of North America. In fact, there have been tales of Bigpaw living in my home state of Oregon! Imagine my excitement when I discovered that I was dwelling in Bigpaw territory!

True, there has been little hard evidence of this mysterious creature's existance; a fuzzy photo here, a wide-eyed camper's tale there. But stories of Bigpaw are numerous. Some say that Sasqwargs are the malicious spirits of wargs who were wrongfully slain by fearful pioneers crossing the country to Oregon Territory. Others claim that they are a Lazarus species; that is, they are living examples of the ancient mammoth wargs found in the fossil record of the late Cretaceous period. Under this theory, the Sasqwargs are the missing link between modern wolves and wargs. Still others say that they are fairylike spirits of the forest, protecting the trees and all creatures that dwell among them.

Many dismiss the claims of Sasqwarg existance as mere legend. After all, no scientist or hunter has ever captured a Sasqwarg. Stories and photographs are waved away as pure fabrication of the creature's existance.

I, however, believe otherwise. After reading up on the mysterious Sasqwarg, I have been led to believe that a pack or "tribe" of these strange beings have been inhabiting the woods around my house. I live in a relatively isolated area, between two mountains and a great forest. Sometimes, I feel as though someone is watching me. I turn around, but there is nothing but forest. Or is there? Many times at night I have heard strange sounds, like great creatures were performing a a dance outside my window. On full moons, I sometimes think I can see great dark shapes floating across the silvery landscape. Are they the Sasqwargs? If so, then I must disagree with any theory that these magestic creatures are evil spirits. I cannot explain why I feel this way, though I believe that if you happened to see the things I have seen, you would share my thoughts. Perhaps the Sasqwarg are indeed guardians of the forest, or ancient ancestors of the modern warg. I hope to continue my studies and deduce the true nature of these beings.

So please come out of the tree and starve yourself no longer, Lord Eomer. I do not know if beasts similar to the Sasqwarg roam Scotland, but I do not think a warg enthusiast such as yourself would miss the chance of finding that out. If they are indeed Lazarus species, perhaps some Sasqwargs crossed to present-day Scotland before Pangea could fully separate. Maybe some still survive. It would be a fascinating study, don't you think?