View Single Post
Old 04-27-2003, 09:28 PM   #35
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

I someone was to make the 'cut and fashioned' argument (which I think is a legitimate one) I'd say that one could say (contrary to the opinion that someone had previously expressed) that the cutting and fashioning could be the scraping off of accumulated gunk from the surface of the gem. Even though while the Silmaril floated around in the lava it wouldn't accumulate crud, it would certainly harden on as the lava cooled, would it not? You can't argue that the dwaves pulled it out of the still hot lava...

But as to why someone would dismiss that statement without even thinking about the crusting rates of lava, Saucepan Man, I don't know... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Is there somewhere in the Hobbit where it says expressly how big the Arkenstone was?

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote