View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 09:47 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
White Tree LotR -- Book 6 - Chapter 5 - The Steward and the King

This chapter takes us back in two respects – back to the city of Minas Tirith, after the last chapter ended on the field of Cormallen, and back in time, even before the battle began at the Black Gate. It shows us a situation that is familiar to many, probably all of us – waiting with no power to do anything to influence the coming events, and with no news of what is happening at the crucial location. I find it interesting to read that without ‘Estel’ Telcontar, there was little hope in the city.

This is also a chapter for Éowyn and Faramir fans and for Aragorn swooners!

We begin by joining Éowyn in the Houses of Healing, where her body is recovering more rapidly than her spirit. Her talk with the Warden includes some wonderful lines on healing and swords. Then she meets Faramir for the first time; he sees more than meets the eye – an indication of osanwë ability? Though he tells her later that her beauty is what attracts her to him, it is obvious that this is not all. He speaks to her with great wisdom – he is a ruler, but he will not overrule the healers, and accepts the verdict of their superior knowledge. I also see acceptance of Éowyn in his advice to use the waiting time for healing in order to be able to face whatever may come in strength. Those words precede her first softening.

I must admit, I chuckled over the fact that he asked first the Warden, then Merry about her. He shows genuine interest in desiring to know her better. Just the fact that he gives her his mother’s cloak to wear is very telling! Time passes, then halts. Joy returns, and though the citizens of the city do not yet know why, we readers do.

An Eagle comes, but this time as a messenger, not as a carrier. What do you feel when you read the words of the song he sings?

We have seen first signs of love between Éowyn and Faramir on the walls; how do Tolkien’s very restrained sentences touch you? A brief, unconscious holding of hands; the intermingled hair; the chaste kiss on the brow – I find these much more interesting than an explicit love scene would be. However, she is still not sure of her heart. It takes an almost therapeutic talk between them for her to realize what she really desires and to renounce her wishes for Aragorn’s love. Now really, gals, are there men nowadays who react with that kind of perception, or did they die out some time after the Fourth Age?! (Like Herod to the Wise Men, I’m tempted to say, “When you have found him, bring me word again, that I may come…” )

The word “barren” is used several times in this chapter, the first time when Éowyn vows to love growing things and be a healer. It applies to nature, yes, but certainly to her own life too. The other times pertain to the White Tree, and again more than that, to Aragorn’s line. He has already been crowned King, so the significance of the tree is obviously to establish his house and his heirs as future kings. Without Arwen, the House of Telcontar would remain barren, without a future.

The crowning ceremony is wonderfully described, a grand and magnificent moment for Aragorn, his friends and the people of the city. In the midst of all this loftiness and joy, Tolkien places some of his wonderfully subtle humour in the “conversation” – very one-sided! – of Ioreth and her unnamed kinswoman. This is a passage I enjoy very much!

The description of Aragorn and his clothing is not merely a fashion show moment, but deeply symbolic. Faramir counts up all of his names and titles in a list so long that I think the people welcomed the King just to put an end to it!

The Kingship brings an end to the barrenness of the city! It becomes the center not only for its kingdom or for the race of men, but for the other races as well. Aragorn swooners, beware – his judgement in the case of Beregond is truly Solomonic. He shows mercy to the former enemies of his people. And Éomer is greeted not as a vassal, but with the respect due to an ally and equal – and with the love of a wonderful friendship.

It is interesting to note that the waiting time lasts until Midsummer – I remember reading that that date was also favoured by Hobbits for weddings. Wouldn’t you have loved to see the procession of the Elves into Minas Tirith?! The last sentence of the chapter, “the tale of their long waiting and labours was come to fulfilment” is a reference to Appendix A, The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen.

There seems to be something for everyone in this chapter – what are your favourite parts?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote