View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 07:13 AM   #93
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Pipe

Me again.

So, Marhwini, you concede that we did actually understand what you were talking about?

Although it seems you have a further goal, previously unmentioned, which is to persuade Tolkien Estate to "canonize" your model. Okay... I'd advise you not to hold your breath.

As for the rest: yes, yes, we are all aware that science but imperfectly describes reality. The difference is that there is still an underlying reality for it to describe. It is possible for a scientific theory to actually correspond to that reality, even if we are never able to prove it; it is not possible in the case of a similar theory about Middle-earth (in the absence of authorial confirmation). So no, science is not fan-fiction. Fan-fiction is fan-fiction.

And with all this- no, I am not saying that your project is doomed*, worthless or "insane". Not at all. I am saying that you should consider approaching it differently.

Another thing to consider is your assumption that disagreement with you is, ipso facto, a sign of abject ignorance, requiring a condescending lecture (preferably In Capitals). Perhaps people other yourself have taken the occasional stroll through a college campus? Something to bear in mind, that's all.

*unless you're really counting on the aforesaid acceptance by Tolkien Estate. In which case, yeah, I'd say it's pretty much doomed. Sorry.