View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #30
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
It's true that films with miserable endings have their place, but - even assuming you could get audiences to go for a downer ending in a fantasy movie - I don't feel like it's true to the spirit of Tolkien. With the exceptions of Aldarion and Erendis and The Children of Hurin, all of his substantial stories end with both loss and hope. A&E doesn't have the latter.
Of these two, I think COH has a better possibility of making a good movie. It has a faster-moving storyline. If A&E is to be made into a movie, they'd need to twist some politics plots to keep interest. But the beauty of this movie could be an ending of flashes of scenes, or just text, briefly stating the fates of all the subsequent generations.

The problem with COH is that so many different places and people are involved, and it's hard to introduce all their backgrounds and motivations in a single movie. But if the intended audience is one that is familiar with Beleriand, or certain details are glossed over, it could work out. Really though, I think COH could make a good play. With Glaurung never actually shown, but implied to be there by actors' reactions - like the Giants in many versions of Into The Woods. It's definitely dramatic enough for a play, but maybe a tad long - so perhaps some of Turin's adventures would be cut. I would go see a play like that.