View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #188
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Erenor's first instinct was to pull away from the contact that broke through her attempts to rebuild the wall around herself that had broken down so comprehensively in the past few days, but then the import of Angore's words sank in. She left her hand quietly in his as she turned back so that she knelt before him. Then pushed her hair back from her face with her free hand before placing it gently over those that clasped its pair.

She looked up at him with a smile like the first sunlight after a storm, her voice tentative but tinged with hope " Truly, you will not leave me? I was so scared you would.... when I was being crushed by the troll, the last thing I remember seeing was you, and I was glad; it gave a glimmer of hope before the darkness came. I realised how much I have depended on you ... but since then you seemed to avoid me - and I did not know why - then Bethiril spoke and I feared you might have to go with her and when ... .just now out there..... I realised how much distress I caused you, I felt certain you would go too, and I could not bear it. " She bit her lower lip and lowered her gaze again.

"Do not be troubled on my account, for if you will stay with me you will be the balm not the source of sorrow. Yet I think I cause you pain again - you do not look comfortable, please, sit "

Although they released hands they did not move further apart. Erenor noticed Angore flinch as he moved his injured knee, though he made light of her concern. She did not press the point. She had been overwhelmed by the realisation of Angore's importance to her; clearly he had not had the same experience. But she had reason to hope he might eventually let his sequestered heart realise what feeling another's pain as your own might signify. She would not rush him to find answers now. If they survived there would be time, if they did not... and her mind replayed his words and the memory of his touch.

"Do we have a chance to reach Mithlond, Angore?" she asked, and for once the "we" did not mean the elves alone, whose lightfootedness and endurance gave them an advantage.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 08-07-2005 at 01:02 PM.