View Single Post
Old 02-25-2004, 12:02 PM   #60
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
To those who would distinguish LotR from HP on the grounds that in Tolkien everything emenates from Eru - you only find that out if you've read the Sil. There is no mention of Eru or indeed of any religious practice or belief in LotR, except perhaps for Faramir and his men turning west before they eat.

I first read LotR before the Sil was ever published, and when it (the Sil) finally came out, I was quite surprised when I read the Ainulindale. "Oh, there is a kind of religion in Tolkien after all," I thought. I was a child at the time so I was perhaps not so aware of underlying symbolism and so on, but I still think that most adults today who have only read LotR would not necessarily be struck by its Christian meaning.

My own belief is that those who want/need religion in Tolkien will find it and those who insist on seeing evil in Harry Potter will find that too.
I am also not aware of this issue of banning Tolkien, Rowling or whatever being debated anywhere outside the US, but I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

(Oh and as for witchcraft in the Bible - Saul consulted the Witch of Endor in order to communicate with the dead Samuel. Necromancy, no less!)
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote