View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #76
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

Group F
Bree 0 - 0 Wooton Major

Wooton Major did very well to hang onto a draw here. Bree should kick themselves for not winning this game considering the chances they created. I'll admit that none of the chances looked threatening at all but on account of the shots they took... I think they should be looking at replays of this game for a long, long time. There isn't much to report except that watch out for an flying balls, some of them still haven't been recovered.

Shots: 21(6) - 3(2)
Posession: 65 - 35

Group G
Rohan 0 - 1 Gondor
(Faramir 82nd)

Rohan dominated most of the posession but failed to use it effectively. Gondor had the best chances despite lacking posession. I don't mean a small difference, I mean a huge difference. Rohan just held the ball for most of the game but whenever Gondor got on the ball it looked like a certain goal. As the scoreline suggests they hardly touched the ball at all.

I've never understood posession football. How is holding the ball supposed to win you the game? Gondor had the right idea, you take the ball, make a kamakaizee run towards the opponent's goal and score. They just that. With the scores locked in the final ten minutes, Faramir knicked the ball off Eomer from his own box. From there the Gondorian made a fantastic sprint all the way to the edge of the Rohan box from where he lashed in a mean drive which nearly tore through the net. Despite the stats, the better team won this game.

Shots: 4(2) - 6(3)
Posession: 66 - 34

Both matches were fairly odd. Bree should have capitalized, they may well pay the price for failing to win this while someone needs to teach Rohan how to play football. They kept the game for most of the match but you don't win by passing in midfield. Gondor on the other hand, even with such little posession they played some electrifying football.