View Single Post
Old 03-20-2003, 12:44 AM   #20
Chancellen the True
Pile O'Bones

Chancellen the True has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

It seems that Radagast needs some defending around here. I think that after Saruman's deception was apparent, his spirit was broken and he never forgave himself. He probably went off into the forest, lamenting over his transgretion.

His apparent lack of action I believe is due to him working on a different level than his brethren. The Istari were sent to ME to motivate and push the peoples to great deeds in the events that were to take place. While Gandalf and Saruman were to help people, Radagast was there to motivate the spirits of wood and stream. Maybe he stirred Gwahir(sp?) and Beorn to action. If he had stayed in the fight, I'm sure he could of stirred to action other creatures and spirits. Maybe he could have talked to Tom Bombadil and convinced him to help (chuckle), or at least lend him some power or aid from The Old Forest. Of course, this is all a lot of maybees and speculation, but I always root for the underdog. Another big problem is that Radagast himself needed to be motivated and pushed. I think he was a rather poor choice for the job by the Valar. The Valar have to take a hit on this too. I mean, give me a break, they are the Valar. They got one out of five right, pretty bad for a pantheon of gods.

As far as Radagast being a poor wizard, I disagree. He wasn't flashy like the others; but, being a shapechanger and conjurer is still very helpfull. A battle starts and he summons a pack of worgs and turns into a rabid grizzly bear and look out. Go! Radagast go!