View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 08:26 AM   #37
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radagastly View Post
The only deliberate humor in the Silmarrillion that I can think of is Aule's line here:
Quote:
But Manwe rose also, and it seemed that he stood to such a height that his voice came down to Yavanna as from the paths of the winds.

"Nay," he said, "only the trees of Aule will be tall enough. In the mountains the Eagles shall house, and hear the voices of those who call upon us. But in the forests shall walk the Shepherds of the Trees."

Then Manwe and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aule; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. "Eru is bountiful," she said. "Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril."

"Nonetheless they will have need of wood," said Aule, and he went on with his smith-work.
I don't think any discussion of humour in the Silm is complete without Beren's classic routine:

Quote:
But Beren knelt before him, and said: 'I return according to my word. I am come now to claim my own.'

And Thingol answered: 'What of your quest, and of your vow?'

But Beren said: 'It is fulfilled. Even now a Silmaril is in my hand.'

Then Thingol said: 'Show it to me!'

And Beren put forth his left hand, slowly opening its fingers; but it was empty. Then he held up his right arm; and from that hour he named himself Camlost, the Empty-handed.
And I think Kuruharan's rewriting of the scene at Losgar misses the fact that there is a distinct comedic counterpoint between Maedhros' and Feanor's tones there:

Quote:
But when they were landed, Maedhros the eldest of his sons, and on a time the friend of Fingon ere Morgoth's lies came between, spoke to Fëanor, saying: 'Now what ships and rowers will you spare to return, and whom shall they bear hither first? Fingon the valiant?'

Then Fëanor laughed as one fey, and he cried: 'None and none! What I have left behind I count now no loss; needless baggage on the road it has proved. Let those that cursed my name, curse me still, and whine their way back to the cages of the Valar! Let the ships burn!'
It's like... overreaction much, dad?

It's also worth remembering that the Quenta Silmarillion is deliberately a summary-slash-chronicle; it's not supposed to include the jokes. For those, you need to look at the longer stories Tolkien wrote around the same time (ie, post-BoLT), where we find things like Aiwendil's cite from the Narn:

Quote:
Then Beleg went out, and led in by the hand the maiden Nellas, who dwelt in the woods, and came never into Menegroth; and she was afraid, both for the great pillared hall and the roof of stone, and for the company of many eyes that watched her. And when Thingol bade her speak, she said: 'Lord, I was sitting in a tree;' but then she faltered in awe of the King, and could say no more.

At that the King smiled, and said: 'Others have done this also, but have felt no need to tell me of it.'
Or, less easy to quote, there are the twin themes of the Lay of Leithian (as pointed out long ago and elsewhere by Philosopher@Large): Beren's compulsive mouthing-off to authority figures, and Beren's friends randomly insulting him. A quick selection from the first:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren to Thingol
Then Beren laughed more loud than they
in bitterness, and thus did say:
"For little price do elven-kings
their daughters sell – for gems and rings
and things of gold! If such thy will,
thy bidding I will now fulfill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren to Sauron(!)
But no true Man nor Elf yet free
would ever speak that blasphemy,
and Beren muttered: "Who is Thû
to hinder work that is to do?
Him we serve not, nor to him owe
obeisance, and we now would go."
And from the second:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthien to Beren
Beloved fool! escape to seek
from such pursuit; in might so weak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huan to Beren
Hopeless the quest, but not yet mad,
unless thou, Beren, run thus clad
in mortal raiment, mortal hue,
witless and redeless, death to woo.
(Note that this is exactly what Beren was about to do, the twit.)

Actually there's a heck of a lot of comedy in the Lay, such as Finrod's spectacular slip:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod to Beren, in Sauron's dungeon
Nay more, I think
yet deeper of torment should we drink,
knew he that son of Barahir
and Felagund were captive here,
Way to keep a secret, Finrod.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote