View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 08:05 AM   #320
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Dúlrain

As Dúlrain looked out over the plains he hesitated confronted with this dilemma. His charge had been to aid Amandur in the capture of the elf Naiore Dannon, who’s countless crimes towards the free peoples of middle earth were too numerous and horrific to recount. The burning need to avenge his brother also burned strong within his soul, but he just could not leave Benia in the hands of that unscrupulous villain Barrold…. Where are the others? He wondered, turning to look back in the direction they had just come. He had hoped that Amandur and the others, if there were any others would have caught up to them by now. But there had been no sign of them and concern had been growing in his mind that they had not survived Naiore’s orc ambush in the mountains. Another flash of lightening streaked the sky illumining for a few minutes the darkness surrounding them. It was then he saw it, a dark shadow in the distance…a figure bent studying the ground before it.

“Get out of sight!” he quickly whispered to the others as he pressed himself against one of the smooth barked birches, Lightening again gave him enough light to get a better look at the stranger reading their trail. Tall and slender like a reed the figure moved gracefully towards them, shrouded from head to toe in a dark cloak that seem to change with the shadows and reflections of the pale moonlight making keeping track of their uninvited companion's movements almost impossible. In fact if not for the lightening he may have never have known anyone was there at all until it was too late. He waited his hand resting instinctively on the hilt of the sword by his waist, but just a few feet from were he was hiding the figure suddenly stopped and was looking straight in his direction almost as though the tree blocking it's view was not there at all. His hand tightened about the hilt as he suddenly grew concerned that he had just lead Gilly and Toby into a cleverly orchestrated trap. Quickly sliding the blade free from its scabbard he stepped out from the tree to face the dark figure that stalked them.

The figure remained still and said nothing as the ranger demanded his name and the reason why he followed them. Slowly the stranger rose two pale long fingered hands to show that they held no weapons. However the bow slung across the figures back and the bulge to his left side showed that he was no stranger to weapons so Dúlrain held to caution and kept his weapon raised as the stranger brought his hands up to the dark hood that concealed his face. Watching him throw the hood back Dúlrain was suddenly surprised to see a cascade of long dark hair fall down about the strangers shoulders and the familiar smile of a friend greeted him.

“Miz Léspheria!” He heard Gilly gasped as she suddenly appeared from her hiding place with Toby not too far behind her. The elf’s smile broadened as she nodded in greeting to the surprised hobbit. “And happy I am to see that you are all alive and well, We lost your trail sometime ago and feared that you had confronted Naiore alone,” she admitted turning again to face Dúlrain. The ranger shook his head, “No we too have been unable to catch up to the Revennor and now I am faced with a difficult decision, one which your arrival has now decided for me, though I have to admit that it would have likely have been the same regardless! But first tell me where are the others, surely you are not alone?”

“No, the others are camped someway off behind us,” she indicated pointed back the way she had come. “Amandur, the bard Menecin, Vanwe and Avanill make up our company, I picked up your trail on my patrol,” she paused for a moment lost in her own thoughts, “Naiore has acquired a horse and cut loose both her prisoner and her hired thug,” she mused as she read between the lines and put together the clues she had found. Dúlrain nodded indicating that she was correct in her assumption.

“She makes all speed south, while Barrold with Benia heads east!”He explained pointing out their watery trails.

“I see,” Léspheria nodded sympathetically, sensing and understanding the rangers need to abandon his charge and strike east to rescue the southern woman.

“Tell Amandur that I am sor…” he began but Léspheria cut him short placing an understanding hand on his shoulder.

“Do not worry Amandur will understand, you must do what your heart tells you is right!” she smiled reassuringly,

“Besides you are without the means to keep up with Naiore never mind catch her, We on the other hand are not. I will return at once and inform the others of what we have found and we will ride out at once to give chase, she cannot elude us forever.”

Dúlrain nodded his thanks and understanding, then after pressing a small glass phial into Gilly's hands with a few whispered instructions, Lespheria said her goodbyes, wished them luck and left to return and wake her companions. While Dúlrain and the two hobbits struck east hot on the heels of Barrold Ferny fully intent on freeing Benia from his villainous grasp!