View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #155
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Yes, I agree.

The only thing I ask is that the orcs hold back from seeing or interacting with members of the slaves/fellowship (and vice-versa as well). I promise that will come soon enough, and one of the game founders, or someone we designate will do a post that initiates the contact. Then you will be free to follow up and push the action forward in whatever crazy ways you can think of.

Just a comment about something Nogrod said about the conflict between the Orcs and Uruk-hai. Certainly, there will be some of that. Shall we make it 3 male Uruks (all excellent soldiers), 8 male orcs, and the rest women? (That will give us one female who is "not written".)

But I think that Regin said something which is key. Once there is contact between the two groups---orcs versus slaves/fellowship---I have a feeling that initial confrontation (peaceful or not) is going to loom so large that former splits in each group (orc versus uruk, slave escapee versus ex-slave) will begin to shrink a bit. Whether they like it or not, Uruks will be compelled to cooperate with orcs, and ex-slaves with escapees (that is unless the slaves prefer to be eaten by the orcs. ) It's amazing how common difficulties can engender cooperation.

Let me just say that the numbers for this game were chosen very carefully. We wanted a situation where no group could easily kill off another. Since Uruks are stronger and have far more military experience, "15" seemed about the right number in relation to 65 slaves. The same is true for the numbers within each group: uruks have the upper hand in strength and command experience just as the ex-slaves do, but neither can get along without the corresponding "lesser" folk who are present in greater numbers. We were essentially trying to set up a scenario where even the most anatagonistic folk would realize that cooperation may have some advantages over annihilation at the hands of the "others".