View Single Post
Old 06-21-2004, 05:14 AM   #4
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
Interesting thoughts, Saraphim. What delighted me about this chapter is that it was lighter-hearted and the tone was laid back, as in The Hobbit and really gave an insight into Hobbits and their general behaviour.

It was written quite humorously and sets us in a good mood for future chapters. The trouble with Bilbo and the Ring to me is a good way to start the story line, with just a hint of darker things to eventuate. I loved the description of the Shire and it's inhabitants, especially the customs that hobbit's have, such as giving away presents on their birthday. As well as, the description of the different types, or families, of hobbits (i.e. Bracegirdles, Proudfoots, sorry- ProudFEET, etc.) and their funny characteristics really made it interesting for me. This is a great chapter and really is an enjoyable look into the lighter side of things in Middle-Earth.

Firefoot said:

Quote:
Do you think that Tolkien had some point in making all these referances to food? What might he have been trying to tell us about hobbits by doing this?
I suppose he just wants to show how jolly hobbits are in their own sheltered little community and how they enjoy simple things- meals not the least, like we do, so that we can identify with them.

Last edited by Fingolfin II; 06-21-2004 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Replying to Firefoot's post
Fingolfin II is offline   Reply With Quote