View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #502
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
The discussion at the Mead Hall

The three landlords stepped in to the half-built Mead Hall itself and sat down to the main table. Saeryn and Thornden sat on the opposite side of them. Matrim and Raedwald stood behind the two.

Ginna served them pints of ale and Modtryth brought forward some fresh bread, cheese and cured ham. Faramund noticed the features of Modtryth and made a slight grin only to smile heartily to Ginna who served him the ale.

After taking a long draught of the ale and wiping his beard clean Tancred looked like he was in a mood for business.

"So, Lady Saeryn," he began, glancing briefly at Thornden as if to hammer it home he would rather speak with a lady than a relatively young soldier. "I think you owe us an explanation of all this. We were invited by lord Eodwine to discuss about some issues concerning the governing of the Middle Emnet."

He paused and looked at both Saeryn and Thornden thoughtfully before continuing. "So what proceedings do you have in mind? I don't see that there are any proceedings at all between us and others than with the king, or with lord Eodwine."

Faramund had looked impatient after he had taken the whole pint with two long draughts. Suddenly he threw the empty jug right into the tray of bread Modtryth had served there. "Right! Off we are from this dunlending grotto!" He made a move as to rise up but Tancred turned towards him astonishingly quick and forced him down with his hand. "Hold your horses Faramund..." Tancred said slowly but with authority.

"No," Thornden said, suddenly. "No. If he is going to act like an untrained young man, he may leave the hall immediately." He stared at Faramund. "Sit down, and give respect to the lady of the hall."

Thus caught between Tancred, whom he respected, and Thornden, who, despite how much they may argue the fact, trully had authority at the eorl's hall, Faramund was forced to resume his seat, looking sullen and angry.

A short pause filled the room, then Saeryn began to answer Tancred and give an explaination of the situation to the lords while Thornden backed her up every now and then.

Alboin had studied the expressions of Saeryn and Thornden closely while sipping his beer. The little incident seemed not to have bothered him in the least and while the two spoke it seemed he looked them more than he listened. Finally, when Saeryn was done with her explanation of the situation Alboin laid his jug on the table in a relaxed fashion but letting it hit the table hard enough to catch everyone's attention.

"A landlord is the sole lord of his land given to him by a king... A king's fiefdom is a holy gift. A king may decide to found a Mead Hall to be a far-post of government wherever he wishes and to make any rulings concerning the running of that place or the governance of the surrounding lands. But without an eorl to run the Hall... or without any actual Hall, it is hard to persuade us - or any nobleman - to make any agreements. Were we to do that, we would betray the trust our king has laid upon us."

"How do we know you are not just a bunch of brigands and run-away soldiers who have killed lord Eodwine and try to make deals for your own purse?" Faramund yelled and stood up so violently even Tancred couldn't stop him.

Thornden stood as well, his blood heating with contempt for this fireheaded man who pretended to set himself up as noble. "You have insulted us enough, sir! This behavior is not acceptable, and you know it well. You will leave this place immediately."

"By heaven, I'd like to see you make me!" Faramund taunted in return, whipping his cape back and laying hand to the hilt of his sword. Thornden made no aggressive movement, but Raedwald and Matrim grasped their swords, too, standing tense and ready.

"Hold! Calm yourselves!" Tancred bellowed. He pushed the bench backwards but did not rise. His voice was authoritative indeed, and everyone froze as they were. It was clear why he had been a glorious captain of the Rohirrim in the war. His presence was commanding.

Three soldiers appeared on the main door with their swords revealed.

"Frappwaith! Get back outside! We'll call you if we need you," Alboin called the soldiers. They reluctantly backed out of the doorway.

Looking at Saeryn, Tancred said in a softer tone: "Please excuse the behaviour of my friend Faramund. He's still young, and there's no relying on young people in issues that require wisdom." He glanced at Thornden now so markedly that no one could have avoided to notice it. But Thornden stayed calm, despite the challenge - he knew he was right.

But Saeryn was herself insulted, and she admired Thornden. It hurt her to see him so degraded. She looked at Tancred. "His youth is no excuse, as my man here," nodded towards Thornden, "has not so behaved himself. Please ask Faramund to remove himself from my hall."

Faramund hissed a curse from between his clenched teeth. He glared at Saeryn before he drew himself up and stalked furiously from the hall. Only then did Thornden sit down. He and Saeryn turned again to Tancred.

Tancred had followed Faramund’s leave with open frustration and stared emptily to the doorway that had been left open by the young lord’s exit. Feeling the eyes fixed on him he finally turned to look at the hosts in front of him.

"Excuse us on his behalf… He’s young and feisty… Good characteristics for a soldier but not for a leader. He has to still learn a thing or two…” He sighed out aloud and took the last sip of his ale before continuing. It was actually humiliating to him to know he was in a clear disadvantage now as Faramund had finally spoiled their lordly countenance which would have been the way they could have showed these less lordly people their place. The two had just outnobled his companion… well a companion he had not chosen or whom he didn’t appreciate too much… He had respected Faramund’s father, Friduhelm, but the son was just a pain in… He sighed again, but pulled himself together then.

“Now, as my friend Alboin already said," he said, "without lord Eodwine and without a Mead Hall we have nothing to do here. We thank you for the ale and I invite you to visit my Hall with lord Eodwine as soon as he returns. I don't know if he has told you that, but I used to be his captain back in the war. He was a good lad... even if a bit soft." Tancred shook his head lightly like deep in his memories. "But for now I think we must go."

“But, sir," Thornden said, leaning forward quickly before either Alboin or Tancred rose. "Eodwine has left me in charge of his land and his eorldom during his absence. And that means that I have been given the authority of carrying out his lordly responsibility of levying the king’s taxes, and our own.”

“That’s what you say.” Alboin snapped back immediately. “And I think all this talk of levying taxes should wait for the eorl or the king to settle it. Surely you don’t think we would bargain it with you… How do we even know you’re a legitimate party here but for your word?”

“Please Alboin… sure this man looks like a man of his word.” Tancred studied Thornden’s steadfast gaze for Alboin before continuing. “But still we’re in no position to make deals with you. We owe our allegiance to the king and not you. You must see that. Would you surrender your duties to your king to a stranger with an odd following just claiming things? Wouldn’t you be afraid that your king would think you reckless indeed?”

“You know this is the right place, or you would not have come,” Thornden answered evenly.

“It’s not the place… it’s the authority of the eorl that calls for allegiance or any bargains.” Alboin countered. “And if Eodwine is indeed as ill as you make him out to be, then how do we know he is going to live… or this Mead Hall to ever function?” Alboin asked. His bright grey eyes looked from Thornden to Saeryn, measuring them up. A silence met him. Saeryn looked down and unconsciously laid her hand on her belly.

Tancred was quick to notice Saeryn’s reactions. Not showing his sudden relief he laid his hand on Alboin’s shoulder and addressed Saeryn and Thornden with an unexpectedly hearty smile. “Now, let us part in friendship… What comes to your requests of food, let’s say we send you a welcome-gift for you to make it the next month or so, and we hopefully return to these conversations with lord Eodwine when he returns?”

With that he nodded and took his leave with Alboin following him.

Last edited by Nogrod; 10-22-2009 at 02:23 PM.