View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #511
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Athanar was taken aback by the bluntness of the young man... but if it was just that, he would have easily handled the arrogant youngster. But what Degas said made him think one... no two times... He had to gather things about loyalties and old deals between caretakers, eorls, lords and kings to be sure he was not putting himself into jeopardy. He was too experienced to fall into any traps he was sure the youngster was trying to lay on him - even if he was not too certain what the exact trap was... or if there was one in the first place. At the moment he saw no flaw in his position but the firmness of the youngster forced him to think twice. What was he aiming at? Or was it just that he was too much immersed with the plotting of Edoras aristocracy and thus thought everyone everywhere was like that?

But he would have to think about it with more time and take care of the moment.

He made a stern look at Degas and then spoke with an intentionally slow pace staring at Degas.

"Do you think, Degas, neighbour and vassal of eorl Elfhelm of Aldburg, that your position is one to contest the will of the king concerning who should be the eorl of Mid-Emnet?" He took his time to study the face of Degas as to see what he was for a man. And just as he saw Degas was about to protest he continued.

"But anyway... I shall forgive you your thoughtlessness for the time being." with the way he spelled the words for the time being he made it clear he was meaning it would be short-lived indeed.

"I can understand these are hard times to you and your sister - and I can sympathise with your anguish. But concerning the kingdom of Rohan, it needs more a running Mead Hall in Mid-Emnet than appeasing some personal grievances over any sworn friendships and vain pride."

Athanar let the words hammer down on Degas before he made his final remark - this time turning more to lady Saeryn and Thornden. "I have no doubt this Degas is a brave and good young man, but unless he grows a bit more mature from what he is right now - not meddling his personal insecurities, bad conscience or self-blames into the discussions on ruling this Mead Hall - I'd suggest you'd ask for him to leave from this discussion. We have the landlords to bargain with and the king's Hall to settle into these quarters lord Eodwine never managed to do. And the king awaits results. We'll have to get this Hall running... and we're not getting any results by making these petty arguments that have more to do with individual suffering... as bad it might feel to an individual who feels bad."

He smiled dryly while turning to Degas: "It means adulthood young master Degas; to be able to see over one's personal grievances, and it means that first step of lordship; to be able to differentiate between your own feelings and what is good for the larger community."