View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 02:56 PM   #39
James the Just
Pile O'Bones

James the Just has just left Hobbiton.
I've just posted the reason for the 4502 BC date on your other thread. I suggest everyone else read it. It may be the thread that settles the question once and for all, "When did the Ages begin?"
The calendar converter on The Encyclopedia of Arda isn't good. Much better than following the vague suggestions in the Appendix one should look at what Tolkien actually used in his stories. He clearly used the moon phases from the years 1941/42.

'(...) this is the clue to his lunar calendar as finally conceived: the moons in The Lord of the Rings are based on those of 1941--2, but with their dates adjusted on either side of the full moon of 7/8 March to take account of Shire Reckoning. (...)'

The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion

Correlating them with the phases described in the books lets us know what he was maybe trying to conceal; that the year began on Christmas, just like it had in England for hundreds of years until about the fourteenth century, when they changed it to March 25 (Lady Day). Now where have I heard of a calendar's start changing to that date before? C'mon, James, think...

However, I'm assuming the Hobbits didn't use a converted Gregorian. So the March 13 date comes from calculations based on the moon phases back then. In modern times, though, we ought to celebrate it on March 20 (March 19 in leap years). Right at the time of the spring equinox.
James the Just is offline   Reply With Quote