View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #46
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Quote:
Maedhros I tried to send you a complet set of all TftE text but it failed. See your mail about this.
Thanks, I received it and it is great.

Quote:
DoV-UM-02.5A => DoV-UM-02.2: Agreed, but why do we delet a part of this?
I deleted it because in the first part of the paragraph, there is a statement that he was in his youth, but if you and Aiwendil feel that it is ok to keep it, that's ok with me.

DoV-FM-00.5

§3 Míriel was the name of his mother. Her hair was like silver; and she was slender as a white flower in the grass. Soft and sweet was her voice, and she sang as she worked, like rippling water, in music without words. For her hands were more skilled to make things fine and delicate than any other hands even among the Noldor. By her the craft of needles was devised; and if but one fragment of the broideries of Míriel were seen in Middle-earth it would be held dearer than a king's realm; for the richness of her devices and the fire of their colours were as manifold and as bright as the wealth of leaf and flower and wing in the fields of Yavanna. Therefore she was called Serindë <SF a name which she had indeed already been given as a 'mother-name'. >.+
It was the only reference that we have of Míriel having a mother name.

Quote:
Mathan => Sarmo: I second this change but have to lock deper into the sources. I would like also to have Aiwendils input here.
I will post here the whole note for ease of reference:
From Shibboleth of Fëanor:
Quote:
[On a separate page written at the same time is a note on the father of Nerdanel (Fëanor's wife);
Nerdanel's father was an 'Aulendil' [> 'Aulendur'], and became a great smith. He loved copper, and set it above gold. His name was [space; pencilled later Sarmo?], but he was most widely known as Urundil 'copper-lover'. He usually wore a band of copper about his head. His hair was not as dark or black as was that of most of the Ñoldor, but brown, and had glints of coppery-red in it. Of Nerdanel's seven children the oldest, and the twins (a very rare thing among the Eldar) had hair of this kind. The eldest also wore a copper circlet.
A note is appended to Aulendur:
'Servant of Aule': sc. one who was devoted to that Vala. It was applied especially to those persons, or families, among the Ñoldor who actually entered Aule's service, and who in return received instruction from him.
A second note on this page comments on the name Urundil:
RUN 'red, glowing', most often applied to things like embers, hence adjective runya, Sindann ruin '"fiery" red'. The Eldar had words for some metals, because under Orome's instruction they had devised weapons against Morgoth's servants especially on the March, but the only ones that appear in all Eldarin languages were iron, copper, gold and silver (ANGA, URUN, MALAT, KYELEP).
Earlier Nerdanel's father, the great smith, had been named Mahtan (see X.272, 277), and he was so called in the published Silmarillion. For earlier statements concerning the arming of the Eldar on the Great Journey see X.276-7, 281.]