View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #119
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Introduction: I like your version, but why skip 'modern' and the part about the analphabetic use of English? I don't think we should skip this completly. What we edit is english and our readers are english speakers, so why we should skip this?

NA-EX-40.4: Corrected.

NA-RG-29: Your version reads good.

Finduilas/Gwindor/Turin: I do not agree that all the passages you mentioned are redundant. Some parts my be but not everything in it. It would be good if you could be more specific.

NA-TI-28: I agree to use GA here. But I we have taken the statement of Orodreth giving Túrin more honore when he learned his Identity:
Quote:
NA-TI-28 <QS77 But Gwindor answered: 'The doom lies in yourself, not in your name.'>
NA-TI-29c <QS77 When it became known to Orodreth that the Mormegil was in truth the son of Húrin Thalion he gave him great honour, and Túrin became mighty among the people of Nargothrond. But {he had no liking for their manner of warfare, of ambush and stealth and secret arrow, and he yearned for brave strokes and battle in the open; and his counsels weighed with the King ever the longer the more.
In those days the Elves of Nargothrond forsook their secrecy and went openly to battle, and great store of weapons were made; and by the counsel of Túrin the Noldor built a mighty bridge over the Narog from the Doors of Felagund, for the swifter passage of their arms. Then the servants of Angband were driven out of all the land between Narog and Sirion eastward, and westward to the Nenning and the desolate Falas; and though Gwindor spoke ever against Túrin in the council of the King, holding it an ill policy, he fell into dishonour and none heeded him, for his strength was small and he was no longer forward in arms. Thus Nargothrond was revealed to the wrath and hatred of Morgoth; but }still at Túrin's prayer his true name was not spoken, and though the fame of his deeds came into Doriath and to the ears of Thingol, rumour spoke only of the Black Sword of Nargothrond.
NA-EX-55: I can no longer find this, so it seems we have eliminated this change and the passage you mention.

NA-EX-58: Why not insert the Dragon-helm?
Quote:
Then Túrin sprang about, and strode against him, <CoH and fire was in his eyes, >and the edges of Gurthang shone as with flame{; but}<CoH . But> Glaurung withheld his blast, and opened wide his serpent-eyes and gazed upon Túrin. And NA-EX-58 <Ap Narn {and Glaurung}, desiring to rid Túrin of {its}the aid[u] of the Dragon-Helm[/b] and protection (since he himself feared it), taunted him, saying that surely Túrin claimed to be his vassal and retainer, since he bore his master's likeness on the crest of his helm.
But Túrin never has seen his sister Nienor in our version. Therefor I would edit:
Quote:
And if thou tarry for Finduilas, then never shalt thou see Morwen again, and never at all shalt thou see Niënor thy sister{<CoH again>}; and they will curse thee.'
Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote