View Single Post
Old 10-26-2002, 10:16 AM   #5
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Question

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand. How does the quoted passage relate to Balrogs? Maybe I'm just missing something - it is 1:30 in the morning.
Sorry for not being that clear. I meant that I would as sugested elsewhere that the mechanical dragons/serpents etc, could be changed to "natural" ones. One of the problems that i saw with this is that in the Original FOG, the time between Maeglins treachery and the attack was 7 years. In the Annals, the times is shortened to 1 year. I don't know how long it takes to "grow" a dragon, but i venture that 7 years are not enough, but if the time is only 1 year, the dragons are alredy there and the time of the attack could be considered because of logistical problems of moving so big an army to Gondolin.
Quote:
Even if we make all the dragons normal Glaurung-types, I don't think we should eliminate the terms 'serpent' and 'fire-serpent'. Certainly dragons are serpent-like, and certainly at least some of them have powers of fire. 'Serpent' is no worse a synonym than 'wyrm'.
Yes, i agree with that. There is also the fire drake type.