View Single Post
Old 09-06-2003, 11:13 AM   #27
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, I haven't seen a specific key parallel in this forum yet. The strong contrast between good and evil, and the fight that it causes.

Throughout the books, there are many characters who fight the strong desire to do what is easy, enjoyable, or quickly beneficial. Most of them overcome this desire and do what is right. They are continually faced with the tempting desires of the earth, but won't give in because they must fight for the greater good.

Many Christians(me for one) can say that they long to escape this continual fight. But we know that we must go on to fulfill some purpose for God.

The fight seems never ending--for us and the JRRT characters--but good will prevail. Despite the setbacks, the tempation is overcome, and a glorious ending awaits the victor.

In the FotR this good/evil contrast is very evident. The hope of a victor is a strong motivator for some characters(Boromir, for ex.) but that can lead to a misgiving of the correct choices. Even when hope is minimal, Frodo must make the right choice, because giving in means disaster for the entire world.

Well that's all I've got. Hope you enjoy.

[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: Gurthang ]

[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: Gurthang ]