View Single Post
Old 01-01-2002, 04:22 PM   #1
Ereinion
Animated Skeleton

Ereinion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ereinion
Sting Gil-galad's hair...

Several things have led me to wonder whether Gil-galad had golden hair or not. I believe that I had read he did, but I am not so sure now. Two things are bothering me. First of all, in the movie, Gil-galad, played by Mark Ferguson, has dark hair. Now, I know the movie is far from completely accurate, but I find it hard to believe that PJ would mess up on such a simple thing. The second matter is of Gil-galad's name. Gil-galad is Sindarin and translates as "Starlight" or "Star of Radiance", and refers to his arms (as in armor, etc...lol). However, his Quenya name is Ereinion ("Scion of the Kings"). Nearly all of the Noldor known to have golden hair have the element "fin" in their name (GlorFINdel, FINgolfin, FINgon). Fin translates as something to the effect of "locks", and is used to draw attention to their hair. I find it strange that Ereinion does not contain this element. On a side note, I suddenly realized Turgon did not contain "fin" either. Did he have golden hair? O well, any help is welcome. Thanks.

[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: Ereinion ]