View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 03:21 AM   #57
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
What is there to be excited about? We know the plot and we know how PJ does things in ME - ad the trailer has confirmed it will be moulded to fit LOTR. The only variables are the additions and changes hinted at by casting which is more the macabre curiosity that inspires folk to rubberneck at a car crash rather than excitement.

While obviously we all know the books and perhaps the vast majority of Hobbit viewers will have seen LOTR but... even if you know what the story is with a film you sort of put that on hold and appreciate they don't know what will happen to them. Somehow the whole film being done as a flashback to Frodo is a handicap to that. Even within the context of the trailer, even if you went to that trailer in complete ignorance of Tolkien and the Jackson films you are informed instantly that everything is going to turn out alright in the end because Bilbo is telling it from the perspective of a safe and prosperous old age. It just makes all that portentous "will I return? I can't guarantee it.. I am not responsible for his fate " stuff utterly pointless

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 12-24-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote