View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Osfrid walked from the hall where Sorn sat in mock-contemplation, acting so deep and thoughtful about the world. It was another of those little things Sorn did that could drive a person up a wall. Osfrid felt almost like laughing at him as he smoked his fancy pipe and stroked his imaginary beard. It was almost like a joke. Osfrid chuckled quietly as he continued down the hallway, and he turned into a little doorway to the right. He entered a tiny bedroom, not as fancily furnished as the other rooms. The walls were bare of any tapestries and the chest of drawers was less ornate than the ones Sorn liked to use. On the bed sat a little woman, dressed and black and concentrating on straightening the rings on her white, bony fingers. She looked up from her jewelry when he entered and she gave an exaggerated little sigh.

"Oh, Osfrid, where were you? I've been waiting here fifteen minutes at least and I was beginning to wonder where you had gone."

Osfrid walked over to her and kissed her forehead. She giggled. "I was just talking to Sorn about the lady, Muriel," he said, "She's going to bring us a lot of money, you know, and then I can buy you all sorts of nice things. And ah, that reminds me…" Osfrid stuffed a hand into his pocket and withdrew a tiny, shiny ring.

"Oh, Osfrid, it's beautiful!" she snatched it out of his hands and left the bed to examine her present in the light of the window. "Ooh, is that a ruby?" she said. Osfrid nodded, though his girlfriend's back was still turned.

"Oh, Osfrid, I love you!" she said. She turned from the window and rushed to Osfrid to give him a great, big hug. Osfrid patted her on the back and she gently sat back down on the bed. "Wait a minute…" she said, frowning. "You didn't take this from that rich girl, did you?"

"No, honey! I would never!" After all, the rich girl wouldn't wear rings of cut glass and painted lead. "I earned it myself, when we stopped at the horse fair. I traded half of my money for it."

"Oh, Osfrid, I love you!" Muriel bounced back off of the bed and gave Osfrid another hug. He gently removed her arms, and clasped her hands at his chest.

"Muriel, honey, why don't you go unpack our luggage? We might be staying here a few weeks."

"Okay!" said Muriel and she bounced to where Osfrid's and her bags lay on the floor at the foot of the bed. Osfrid waved good-bye and left Muriel to the unpacking. Ain't she cute as a button? he thought.

Osfrid headed through the halls, whistling a favorite tune. He had never before been in Sorn's home, and naturally he wanted to get to know the place. From what he could tell, there was one main hallway, crossing straight through the main hall. Off the hallway were various other rooms, including the elaborate dining room where Sorn sat smoking his pipe. The house wasn't as big as Osfrid's childhood home, but it was very well furnished. All of the furniture was of top-notch quality. The wooden dressers and bedposts were carved out of expensive woods into curving, bulging, decorative shapes. Spotless white curtains covered each window, and tiny ashtrays of ivory or bone sat on convenient console tables dotted throughout the house. Sorn, of course, saved the best furniture for his own chambers. That's Sorn, for ya, he thought again, spending every fortune as soon as he can get his hands on it.

Last edited by Alcarillo; 05-13-2006 at 03:54 PM.