Thread: Bows of rain
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 02:33 AM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Very interesting. Wonder how many other hybrid "children" exist in Arda, meaning beings that intersect two or more magisteria of other Valar. Aule and Varda = meteorites?
Possibly? (Although Varda could make this herself. Only Aulė could help with giving some worth to the famous meteoritic iron...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
In the later days of the Third Age, Saruman takes for himself the title of Many Colours, and this is not seen as a good thing. This breaking of the white light (i.e. as when light passes through a prism), which is what happens to create a rainbow, is considered to be leaving the path of wisdom.

Would then a rainbowic being be necessary on the side of good, or is it clear that I'm reading way too much into this?
Nah, I wouldn't think so. It is not that rainbow would be something bad by itself (the rainbow over Cirith Ninniach did not mean that Tuor was entering Mordor!), simply just in the particular case that Saruman actually broke the originally white light - the one color he was "appointed" with - into many colors, and Gandalf's interpretation of white light broken referred also to what Saruman did, not to rainbow by itself, that much seems clear - let's not read too much to it. It's easy to try to read something that isn't there.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote