View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #342
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'm quite disappointed that Mithalwen was there and we didn't get to know her! I kept looking on Saturday, but since I had no idea what I was looking for, it was no surprise that I couldn't find her. Did you recognize any of us, Mith? Most of us had our nicks on our badges.

I think we already set a record for most Downers in the same place at the same time, what with five of us together at the party, but six would have been even better! We shall see what next Oxonmoot brings.

I really enjoyed meeting Hookbill for the first time; he really is as crazy in person as he seems when he's prowling around Mirth, yet he is also very intelligent, an interesting conversationalist, and a gregarious companion. His Tom Bombadil costume was greatly applauded at the party.

I've already met Squatter on several previous occasions, so I looked forward to seeing him again. He is brilliant and hilarious, very knowledgable on more than just Tolkien, and a snappy dresser besides. His all-black outfit on the first evening was a model of stylish individuality. Though not actually a costume, we convinced him that the black shirt and tie which he wore with the equally black jacket and very elegant vest made him look like a Ringwraith at a business meeting!

Narfforc knows so many people, being a long-time Oxonmoot attendee, so we didn't see him as often, but he was as funny as ever when we did. He had exciting news about his finished parody (which he manages to quote almost as often as I do the REB!), and in my opinion, he looked better in his blue wizard costume without the white wig and beard.

The Downer I saw most while in England was Guinevere. We met in London earlier in the week because we both wanted to see the LotR musical. (Review soon to be posted on the thread concerning the musical.) We enjoyed each other's company right from the beginning, had a lot of common interests to talk about, and saw a lot of London on foot, since the weather was too gorgeous to tempt us down into the Tube when not absolutely necessary. We had picnic lunches in the park and on Trafalgar Square, looked at the memorials in Westminster Abbey, and popped down to Brighton to see the Royal Pavilion before going on to Oxford.

Guinevere is a person with many interests, well worth getting to know in depth, though not a person who puts herself into the limelight. She has read so widely that I ended up writing down a lot of book recommendations, is fluent in several languages, and knows more plant and flower names than I do (as I found out when we went to the Botanic Gardens in Oxford), so I was able to profit from her knowledge.

My personal impressions of my first Oxonmoot:

I thought the people were very friendly, in general; it wasn't difficult to strike up a conversation with them, whether newbies like myself or old-timers. The time schedule was a bit cramped, with art and dealer's rooms open only during the same times when lectures and workshops were held, for the most part. My favourite lecture was the one on the meaning of laughter in Middle-earth: a fascinating topic, researched by a US professor and his students and to be published in the future. Highly recommended!

My favourite activity was listening to the Cambridge Society's reading of parts of the BBC's LotR script. I had already heard them in 2005, knew from two whom I had seen at the German seminar this spring that they were coming to perform, and had looked forward to that very much. It was wonderful, both funny and moving.

The Art Show had some excellent pictures; Anke Eissmann was there to show her wonderful paintings, and I was very impressed with several of the artists' works. My "Leaf and Star" wall hanging was also displayed.

I don't yet know if I will plan to come again next year, but I would certainly enjoy the opportunity. Perhaps we can break the record we set this year!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote