Old 06-07-2003, 03:03 AM   #84
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating
Bekah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bekah
Sting

Quote:
I'm not going to agree or disagree- I just wanted to say that you didn't add a "I think" or "in my opinion" so you are also putting out your opinion as the truth. I am, of course, not saying you're doing what this guy's doing- yours is just an opinion, his is something that it seems he thinks should be forced on everybody- but it's a bit ironic. No offence please, Bekah, I don't mean anything bad about you
Yes, sorry, I meant to say that it is my opinion. It is what I believe to be the truth.

Quote:
I am a Christian, teach Sunday School, read the bible and send my daughter to a Christian school. I also encouraged her to read both LotR as well as HP and other fantasy writings.
Ah, but according to Mr. Yusko, you are a therefore a hell-bound person, sundered from God's love. And this is what really infuriates me. Jesus died for our sins, and unless we reject his love, [I believe, as do most Christians, I think - this little note is for GOTO's benefit, btw] we cannot be sundered from God. He loves us whatever we do, and whether we reject or accept him, though in the former case we grieve him greatly.

Quote:
I decided against sending him anything of the sort. I'd only have been flamed by somebody like that.
I think he's got to the stage where no one can get through to him. Gollum's song is quite appropriate for him, only I suspect he doesn't realize that he is lost.

Quote:
Also, this man seems to insinuate that those who let their children enjoy the occult are condemned to hell. I believe that every one's sin is their own. Guilt cannot be transmitted.
What about Adam's sin? Also, what the guy was saying was that if the parents encourage a sin, then they are guilty. I happen to disagree with this 'sin', though, as I do not believe it is a sin at all.

Quote:
Forgot to mention, but I believe this argument has already been done in full. InklingElf's "Tolkien v.v. Rowling (NOT on Equal Grounds)" It was a great thread, very much worth reading, but dead all the same.
Here I have to say that I helped Inkling Elf edit that particular essay. She, of course, did the actual writing and all, but I helped fix up the particular wording at a few places.

The main reason I quoted that, though, was that this thread was not started to argue over the differences between LOTR and HP, but to exclaim over the absurdity of claiming that they are sinful books. Perhaps there isn't much point in ranting over it, though.

Quote:
If this whole thing is a joke, which I hope it is, his use of hyperbole is extremely clumsy. C- on that one.
His euphisms aren't all that great, either. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I don't think it's a joke. He seems to be a brainwashed fanatic.

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They are ALL the same
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And because of that, he's doomed himself.
He's dooomed himself anyway, with his lack of logic. His argument has holes in it all over the place.

Quote:
quote:
Not to mention a twerp is as a twerp does.

That's a bit harsh. I think that the best arguments come not from attacking the person himself, but from contending his idea.
What do you think Alan has done, huh? Personally I'd have to agree that he's a bit of a twerp, but as you say, Yavanna - each to his own.

Quote:
Is J.K. Rowling a Christian? No!

It makes me sick that people say HP books and LotR books are evil because, there is actual proof that LotR has biblical ties to it.

Don't believe me? LOOK THIS BOOK UP!

Finding God in The Lord of the Rings by Kurt Bruner and Jim Ware.

Read a few pages from that book and then come back and tell me that LotR is evil!!!!!
Woah there!! The book is indeed a good one. I appreciate it greatly.

But you are starting to sound like the guy who ranted at us about the sinfulness of LOTR and HP. It's not good. (Though you didn't offend me.)

Also, I was told from a reliable source that Rowling is of the Church of Scotland. So she at least professes to be a Christian. Whether she is or not I dare not say; only God can judge mankind truly. (Check out my sig.)

Lots of love and God bless you all. Feel free to PM me if you have any bones to pick with me about this.

~ Elentari II