View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #350
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
I beg to disagree. (about not ending the book at the death of Turin)

As I think I've already said, I found the epilogue extremely effective and imo, including Hurin and Morwen after the death of the children was vital.
The book is not called Turin Turambar. It is called the Children of Hurin. They were cursed because Morgoth hated Hurin. Hurin on the high seat, forced to watch the utter effectiveness of the curse on his family - that is a fundamental basis of the story.
Any normally inquisitive reader would want to know, what happened to Hurin, did he die on that chair, or what? So the epilogue is vital. And I would have liked more, at least in the appendix if not in the novel itself. The passage just posted by Maedhros, for example.
But if this section needed to be there, then what happened immediately after should have been as well. The story is either unfinished with the epilogue added and no addition to the story of Hurin, or too long with the inclusion of the epilogue, for as you say it's the story of the children of Hurin, who by this time are all dead.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote