View Single Post
Old 01-29-2001, 06:56 AM   #22
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seeker of the Straight Path
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
A reply to sect.4

I vote for leeaving the noldo out. It seems in my mind only to detract from the intensity of the story [and makes the noldo ] not Finwe the first Elda , slain in Valinor. Which is part of the revised prohecy of Mandos [Mirel was the first to die, Finwe the first to be slain].

as to posting them here I am all for it , I know that legal questions were raised [by BW if I recall , so it has to be cleared w/ him first.] I agree though that the emailing option is cumbersome. This is why Saulotus wanted to find aa newsgroup that could be members only to post this work.

Re; the bracket business, It was a system discussed in the long post of this thread of 1/26/01 --2:58am 'Meshing and such&quot;,I have pasted it below.
It's prime purpose is so thst others of the team and those veiwing our work from w/out will be able to see exactly which book a given section/phrase etc. came from . that w/ a few notes at the end should be all we need except in the most complex questions . Obviously these would not need to be there for any edition created for our private reading pleasure . Please note that the base text is not given any brackests ! below is the excerpt

&quot;6-b***** We could use a system of bracketing that would tell
us which phrase or sentence or word came from what source , e.g.
&lt;Finwe said no&gt;* would indicate-77
{ Finwe said no} would indicate- IV
[Finwe said no] would indicate- V etc.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * (Finwe said no) would idicate - I
Finwe said no would indicate base text- X -no brackets.

These would run throughout our edited copies of the chapters/sections and
would tell us [or anyone ] at aglance just where a given line came from.
7- I think this is the main thing missing from your versions Saulotus, a
quick * * * * *
and easy way of seeing what and from whence are your changes. I propose
putting the corresponding paragraph #'s of the source of each word, phrase
, sentence par graph , etc. in the margin this way we would be spared
choopping the text up w/ clumsy words. &quot;
end quote.

I am off to work on #2.

</p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote