View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 11:08 AM   #16
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I am a Christian and though I have personnally never read the books, I have seen the first movie, seen previews for the other movies, seen clips from the second movie and I have read the first chapter from the fourth book. So I don't know whethere there is witchcraft or not in HP but this is what I don't like about it:

1. The people with magick have this I-am-better-than-you sort of thing with the muggles (?). Gandalf always treated everybody with respect and never viewed himself better than everybody else.

2. Magick isn't treated with respect. I personnally can not see Gandalf making a pig's tail grow out of somebody's behind that he didn't like. Neither can I imagine him holding a cake over a person's head and letting it drop on her head.

I think from a Christian's perspective, magick is a touchy thing and I think that, in their opinion, HP crosses the boundaries. In Tolkien, you will notice that anybody who can do magic, only does it in extreme circumstances, when their lives depended on it, such as Gandalf lighting his staff on Caradhras and Moria, the spell he used upon the door, and others. All these instances were used to save people's lives. On that note, I think that HP uses magic too flippantly. Brings to mind the Spiderman theme: With great power comes great responsibility.

Cheers!
Istawen

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote