View Single Post
Old 02-16-2004, 02:29 PM   #31
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Iaurhirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Iaurhirwen
I believe that one of the main reasons that Harry Potter is getting targeted as much is that is directed to children. Some people believe that if children read Harry Potter, it will corrupt them and divert them away from Christian values. Because magick and sorcery are strongly connected to the Devil, these people who oppose Harry Potter don’t want their children to become associated with the Devil through magick.

Some may argue that The Chronicles of Narnia were aimed at children too, and they were. But the aspect that causes Harry Potter to be attacked on such a large scale is because of the immense popularity of the books. There is hardly a child in this world who has never heard of Harry Potter, while The Chronicles of Narnia, while an outstanding series and piece of literature, they simply don’t have the immense popularity that Harry Potter commands.

Because LOTR is not directed at people as young as the main readers of Harry Potter, it is not seen as much of a problem. My thoughts are that because the readers of LOTR are older, these Christians that have a problem with Harry Potter do not think that they will be corrupted. They would be already settled into their faith and that a book could not influence them as much as it would an impressionable child.

I have been raised in the Roman Catholic Church and have no problem what-so-ever with the Harry Potter books. I have read them many times and simply enjoy the stories that they offer. Some time ago, when this topic was highly volatile in the United States, a priest at my church was asked to quote on the topic for the local paper. He stated that, “the connection of Harry Potter to the Devil is simply hogwash”. He didn’t believe and nor do I that this series is corruptive.

It is also something to note that the Pope in Rome, John Paul II, said that Harry Potter books do not promote the Devil and that they do promote good Christian values.

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with magick in any way or form. If someone does, however, that is their business and I respect them for sticking with their ideals.
"Will somebody find my pants?" - "What do you do with a drunkin sailor?" - "You have a giant mole!!!!" - "Tom!! Get out of the Girls's dressing room!" "But she asked me to help find her pants!!" - - - opening night chaos
Iaurhirwen is offline   Reply With Quote