View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 10:13 AM   #270
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Surinen

The mention of the old storytellers visiting the camp sparkled Surinen’s interest. Dinsûl had mentioned many times to his son, the long celebrations of the past that had marked such occasions. Sometimes the stories went on for days, the old ones who visited picking up where they left off the evening before, continuing for several nights until at last the end of the tale was reached. Dinsûl always had reminisced fondly of how this was a time of community, all drawing together closely to listen and enjoy the stories of their shared past, hearing the feats of their ancestors who traveled this ground before them, and the advice offered them couched in those chosen tales.

“So you were here when the epics were still told?” Surinen asked the eagle, wiping his hands on his pants. “They have not been recited in their ancient form here since before I was alive.”

“Then they no longer visit, for that what they live for. This is sad news to me. But why is it that they have stopped walking here among you?” Sorona asked.

Latah looked to her cousin to see what he would answer, but he looked puzzled, as if searching for an answer. “We don’t really know,” she explained to Sorona with a shrug. “There have been many rifts as well as hardships among the maenwaith clans, some more painful than others, and there are people among us who would blame this. But others say that the old tellers have gone to the high mountains to watch as a new story unfolds, and that they will return when this epic draws to a close to tell us its meaning.”

“And in the meantime Narika has taken their place by the campfire,” Surinen explained. “She is young, but knows much of our people, though I do not think she has herself heard her lore from the mouths of those tellers of tales.” Sorona nodded her understanding.

“But tell us, why did you leave the eagle clan?” Surinen prodded, curiosity getting the better of him. “You seem to have missed our ways, as well as our food.” He said gesturing to Latah, who heaped another ladleful of meat in front of the stately eagle. Sorona hesitated to answer the question.

“I am sorry, you need not speak of it,” Latah said glaring at Surinen. “Such matters are sometimes best left alone. A long time has passed since then.”

“No, no,” Sorona said. “I do not mind. It is just that it is almost as if I were a different person, so long ago it seems. I left the eagles marrying into another clan. In those days it was in the best interest of the eagles for me to do so, but I did for a time frequently return to visited my people.”

“Of which clan is your husband? If you don’t mind I inquire. For my own husband is also an outsider.” Latah asked interested, for her own marriage was also arranged for the good of the clan, and she sought to find some common ground to speak about.

“I joined a clan that at the time was closely allied with our own, my husband being from among the wolf maenwaith.

Surinen shot Latah a glance in time to see her smile fade as she lapsed into stoney silence. “We have heard of these wolves,” he said, marveling at the birds calm as she spoke of this clan. “But our people are no longer their allies. When was it last you were among them?”

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 08-18-2004 at 03:23 PM.