View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 02:23 AM   #28
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Negligent, not evil

In answer to your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
But what about after? R. wasn't at the Council of Elrond. The scouts from Rivendell went to Rhosgobel and couldn't find him. It doesn't appear Gandalf ever spoke with him again, at least not until after the War was over. If Radagast never figured out (or, as I think, was never fussed enough about the War against Sauron to really care) that Saruman had turned to evil, there's no reason he wouldn't have kept telling the animals and birds to bring news to Saruman.
What we have makes it clear that Radagast was negligent in pursuing the mission. Tolkien, in his essay on the Wizards in Unfinished Tales, said that of them 'only one[Gandalf] remained faithful'; and Radagast 'became enamoured of the many beasts and birds that dwelt in Middle-earth, and forsook Elves and Men, and spent his days among the wild creatures'.

However, Radagast didn't go over to evil, as Saruman did; so I certainly don't agree that he would have carried on helping him once he knew the true state of affairs. I'm sure that Gwaihir, after he rescued Gandalf from Orthanc, would have given him this new information about Saruman.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote