View Single Post
Old 02-11-2002, 12:10 AM   #28
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks folks. I'm not so sure about the implications of having Sons of Feanor as redheads, but I agree that it doesn't seem to fitting to find Elves with such coloration, which I have myself in a much lighter but increasingly sparse way. And of course dwarves have various colored hair, but you'd think that some of the races of men would match up with the classic look of the Vikings, whose legends are otherwise an inspiration for Tolkien.

Also, appreciate the reference to Letter #153, Tar Elenion. It is excellent-looking. And, of course, to have viable off-spring they'd both have to be of the same species: Homo middle-earthis? Immunity to decay and death from disease and age of the Elves, I've often thought as not biologically based, but that as Spirits of Middle-Earth, as opposed to something outside, the Elven Spirit essentially overrides bodily biology, just as Elves with time and wisdom can learn to bypass other Laws of Nature. It is not simply a matter of lacking the genes for old-age, since in the case of humans these genes provide a necessary amount of programming for tissues in which the cells can constantly reproduce, because some tissues (muscle and nerves) do not reproduce, and wear and tear themselves inevitably.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar Elenion:
<STRONG>

The Sun and Moon existing only after the return of the Noldor to Middle-earth is, in Morgoth's Ring, attributed to the myths and legends of Men. A Sun and Moon that have been extant for a much longer period of time is entirely in keeping with the traditions presented in LotR and virtually so stated.

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: Tar Elenion ]</STRONG>
Hmmm. Well for me the Quenta Silmarillion is what it is, and presumably written from the Elvish point-of-view, except for the "Children of Hurin" and some other tales. So, in the case of The History of Middle-Earth, I'm inclined to look at contradictory references as simply another way that Tolkien's complete works "could" have been written or explained. But I will read through them all some day. Also, I thought that The Lord of the Rings contained a few implied references to the vast Ages of Starlight. The reference to the Sun's and Moon's appearance has major implications in The Silmarillion (Morgoth's early impotency, ending of the Sleep of Yavanna, legacy of the Two Trees, etc.). So, I find it hard to put it aside very easily, but I have often wondered if it were somehow more figurative than literal, because of the plants that clearly lived and went right on living when Anar first rose. Or, maybe one could think of a great temporal conjunction!

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: Man-of-the-Wold ]

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: Man-of-the-Wold ]
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.