View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 02:16 AM   #220
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
I met a fellow-BD-er for the first time Saturday - our own Estelyn Telcontar! And I *finally* have time to post a report!!

Estelyn was in my area for a college reunion, and we were able to get together for a couple hours that evening. The Valar smiled upon me! I was rushing to her hotel to meet her, sure that she was in the reception area wondering if she'd been stood up. But I pulled into the parking lot only to find a woman with a sort of glowing 'BD aura' just getting out of a car. And it was Estelyn - I didn't even need to show her my Boromir notebook. (Actually, she had given me a very good description of what she looked like. But I'm glad she didn't have to wait.)

After she got her things into her room, we headed out again to our Old Market area so we could sit and talk. The weather was unusually warm for autumn, so we were able to sit outside comfortably for awhile. Over hot cider and cream soda we had a lovely conversation, which ranged from being introduced to Tolkien to RPGs at the downs (pouting: I still wanna do a female Dwarf somehow). And we frequently branched off to talk about our families (I have a Leggy-bopper), our hobbies and avocations, and life in general.

I was especially intrigued learn of some lesser-known weapons in BD lore - particularly a type of bow Estelyn mentioned. And I am off to search for the poetry of Vogonwe!

This post doesn't do justice to our meeting. Estelyn is funny, intelligent, kind and gracious - it was wonderful to meet her.