View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #55
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
Yes, I see what you're saying.

I think really we have another bit of Tolkien creating a bind for himself that he never cleared up,
Yup, but half the fun of being a Tolkien fan is trying to figure out ways to make all the inconsistencies make some kind of rational sense.

Quote:
There isn't any real solution except by artificial rationalization
Again, half the fun...and I think the ideas presented make sense.

Quote:
And then there is something of a how-de-do with the idea that four, count 'em, four of the Dwarf-rings were lost to dragon fire. There are certain geographical problems posed by that.
Possibly, but not necessarily. It is true that it is almost essential to assume that the four rings eaten by dragons were the ones of the eastern houses. However, perhaps dragons were more active and widespread in eastern Middle-earth. That, in fact, might be used as a piece of evidence to support such an assertion.

Another question is, how did the news get out? I'm assuming the dwarves would have spread the word eventually as time passed.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 02-04-2016 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Horrible grammatical error. Oh the shame of it!
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote